wood burning stoves*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Lefties and righties Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Murach's Java Servlets and JSP this week in the Servlets forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Lefties and righties " Watch "Lefties and righties " New topic
Author

Lefties and righties

Hussein Baghdadi
clojure forum advocate
Bartender

Joined: Nov 08, 2003
Posts: 3476

Why about 85% are righties?
Do lefties have advantages over righties?
Mike Simmons
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 05, 2008
Posts: 2988
    
    9
Nah - we're just cooler.
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 14074
    
  16

I had a professor who could write with both hands equally well (ambidextrous). He'd stand in front of the blackboard with one color of chalk in one hand, and another color in the other hand. That way he could quickly write in two colors.

Take that, you "cool" lefties!


Java Beginners FAQ - JavaRanch SCJP FAQ - The Java Tutorial - Java SE 7 API documentation
Scala Notes - My blog about Scala
S. Nitesh
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 15, 2010
Posts: 36
    
    1

we're just cooler.

+1
Fiorenza Oppici
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 22, 2010
Posts: 38
I'm "rightie" but when i've got to open jars and bottles i use the left hand. and also when I'm playing guitar hero I strike keys with the left.


[I study here]
Regards, FiĆ²
Fiorenza Oppici
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 22, 2010
Posts: 38
John Todd wrote:Why about 85% are righties?
Do lefties have advantages over righties?

believe it or not, in some religious schools when my grandma was young, teachers used to tie at the chair lefties' left hand in order to make them write with the right hand. being a leftie was seen as a "bad habit" to lose as soon as possible.
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender

Joined: Oct 02, 2003
Posts: 11153
    
  16

The left hand has a history of being 'sinister' or 'evil'. Also, I think I read once that lefties have shorter life spans.


There are only two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors
Fiorenza Oppici
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 22, 2010
Posts: 38
fred rosenberger wrote:The left hand has a history of being 'sinister' or 'evil'. Also, I think I read once that lefties have shorter life spans.

I thought that this was only a "problem" for catholics... so now I must reconsider the shorter lifespan thing it's astonishing, was it the result of a resarch? ?
Peter Rooke
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 21, 2004
Posts: 800

I'm right handed - but still try to use my left hand (and foot) as much as possible.
Years back I got quite resonable at using my left foot while playing football (round ball type)...

Think is important to use both right and left - keep a balance...


Regards Pete
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender

Joined: Oct 02, 2003
Posts: 11153
    
  16

actually, according to this, the study was flawed. So, nevermind.
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 14074
    
  16

Did you know that besides having a preference for one hand while writing, people also have a preference for one ear and eye?

To which ear do you always hold the telephone, right or left?

To test which eye is your preferred eye, try this: With both eyes open, stretch out your arm in front of you and point to something in the distance. Now, first close your left eye, and see with your right eye where you're pointing. Then, open our left and close your right eye and see where you're pointing. You'll notice that with one eye you're pointing exactly at the object, and with the other eye you're off. The eye with which you're pointing at the object is your preferred eye.

I'm right-handed, but left-eared and left-eyed.
Mike Simmons
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 05, 2008
Posts: 2988
    
    9
Basically, the study found that there were fewer old lefties, as a percentage of the old population, than old righties. But they failed to account for the obvious possibility that people born in the early 20th century were more likely to have been, err, encouraged, as children, to become righties. So the percentages had actually been skewed at childhood, and only later noticed at death.
Fiorenza Oppici
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 22, 2010
Posts: 38
Jesper Young wrote:Did you know that besides having a preference for one hand while writing, people also have a preference for one ear and eye?

To which ear do you always hold the telephone, right or left?

To test which eye is your preferred eye, try this: With both eyes open, stretch out your arm in front of you and point to something in the distance. Now, first close your left eye, and see with your right eye where you're pointing. Then, open our left and close your right eye and see where you're pointing. You'll notice that with one eye you're pointing exactly at the object, and with the other eye you're off. The eye with which you're pointing at the object is your preferred eye.

I'm right-handed, but left-eared and left-eyed.

according to this test I'm right eyed, handed and eared. a bit of monotonous!

I think this must depend on which cerebral hemisphere one is more prone to use, could it be?
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender

Joined: Oct 02, 2003
Posts: 11153
    
  16

I pointed to something off to my right, and used my right eye.

Then I pointed to something off to my left, and used my left eye.

What does that say?
Hussein Baghdadi
clojure forum advocate
Bartender

Joined: Nov 08, 2003
Posts: 3476

I'm right eyed, eared and handed, I hope it is a good thing !
Paul Clapham
Bartender

Joined: Oct 14, 2005
Posts: 18541
    
    8

Fiorenza Oppici wrote:believe it or not, in some religious schools when my grandma was young, teachers used to tie at the chair lefties' left hand in order to make them write with the right hand. being a leftie was seen as a "bad habit" to lose as soon as possible.

That wasn't only religious schools which did that. It was a common practice all over the place.
Devaka Cooray
ExamLab Creator
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Posts: 3018
    
  35

fred rosenberger wrote:I pointed to something off to my right, and used my right eye.

Then I pointed to something off to my left, and used my left eye.

What does that say?


You are just dual-eyed


Founder of ExamLab and Systemup
See how I can help you to become an awesome programmer
Ankit Garg
Sheriff

Joined: Aug 03, 2008
Posts: 9291
    
  17

To test which eye is your preferred eye, try this: With both eyes open, stretch out your arm in front of you and point to something in the distance. Now, first close your left eye, and see with your right eye where you're pointing. Then, open our left and close your right eye and see where you're pointing. You'll notice that with one eye you're pointing exactly at the object, and with the other eye you're off. The eye with which you're pointing at the object is your preferred eye.

This is cool, I never heard of this before. I'm right eyed (also right eared and handed, which might mean I'll live 100 years )...


SCJP 6 | SCWCD 5 | Javaranch SCJP FAQ | SCWCD Links
Mike Simmons
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 05, 2008
Posts: 2988
    
    9
Devaka Cooray wrote:You are just dual-eyed

Ah - the dreaded Biclops!
Rizvan Asgarov
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 07, 2009
Posts: 451

By the way, i always use two hands together when writing (left is helper). i do it since my childhood as a habit. so it caused a good handwriting as a result.


"Half of the science is to ask question"
Fiorenza Oppici
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 22, 2010
Posts: 38
The only thing I know for sure about left-handed people is that is uttely unconfortable writing when you share your schooldesk with one and he/she is on your right; soon it becomes an "elbow fight"
Hussein Baghdadi
clojure forum advocate
Bartender

Joined: Nov 08, 2003
Posts: 3476

fred rosenberger wrote:I pointed to something off to my right, and used my right eye.

Then I pointed to something off to my left, and used my left eye.

What does that say?

You are a sniper
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender

Joined: Oct 02, 2003
Posts: 11153
    
  16

Fiorenza Oppici wrote:The only thing I know for sure about left-handed people is that is uttely unconfortable writing when you share your schooldesk with one and he/she is on your right; soon it becomes an "elbow fight"

I had this problem in 4th grade. all the desks were in pairs. I was on the left, and Richie was on the right. It only took us a few weeks to figure out we should switch sides, then all was fine.
Bert Bates
author
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 14, 2002
Posts: 8801
    
    5
Lefties Rule!

We have to suffer from being called gauche, maladroit, sinister...

I think the shorter lifespan thing had to do with being more accident prone in early years while adapting to a right-handed world. I thought heard that once lefties survived their first 6 or 8 years their life spans were normal... am I making that up?

Also, I've heard that on the minus side we're more prone to schizophrenia (and so are we), but that we're better able to recover from strokes. We have bigger corpus collossums (which is a great line at a bar ).

I play guitar and golf right handed, and it's always felt like that was an advantage... it confuses me why the right handed versions of those activities are set up that way?


Spot false dilemmas now, ask me how!
(If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much room.)
Mike Simmons
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 05, 2008
Posts: 2988
    
    9
Bert Bates wrote:I think the shorter lifespan thing had to do with being more accident prone in early years while adapting to a right-handed world. I thought heard that once lefties survived their first 6 or 8 years their life spans were normal... am I making that up?

Probably.

There were various theories tossed around when this study first came out, and indeed there was speculation that lefties experienced more fatal accidents. But to account for lowering the average life expectancy by nine years? That's a lot of fatal accidents. If it were mostly comprised of children under age 8 - well, that would mean over 10% of all left-handed children were dying in these accidents. You'd think someone would have noticed before this.

I think it's much more plausible that the root cause of this apparent problem is the one I described earlier: there are fewer old lefties because the old lefties grew up in more barbarous times where they were often "converted" to righties. Now they are more likely to appear in the stats as righties, even if that's not their natural preference. Thus there appear to be fewer old lefties, and incompetent researchers draw the incorrect conclusion that lefties are dying earlier.
Tak Ming Laio
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 10, 2003
Posts: 37
Jesper Young wrote:Did you know that besides having a preference for one hand while writing, people also have a preference for one ear and eye?

To which ear do you always hold the telephone, right or left?



I think this is not a test for the preference ear but the perference hand.
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 14074
    
  16

Tak Ming Laio wrote:I think this is not a test for the preference ear but the perference hand.

I don't think so, it really also has to do with your ear. If I hold a telephone to my right ear it sounds "weird" and I even have trouble understanding what the person is saying. And I don't have hearing problems. Try holding your phone to your other ear deliberately. You'll notice it's weird.
Devaka Cooray
ExamLab Creator
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jul 29, 2008
Posts: 3018
    
  35

Jesper Young wrote:If I hold a telephone to my right ear it sounds "weird" and I even have trouble understanding what the person is saying....

Really?
Seems like I don't have a preference on one ear - I usually hold the telephone to either ear as it's comfortable to my hand.
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 14074
    
  16

Devaka Cooray wrote:Seems like I don't have a preference on one ear - I usually hold the telephone to either ear as it's comfortable to my hand.

Maybe you are ambi-ear-ous, just like my professor was ambidextrous! (See my post above).
 
wood burning stoves
 
subject: Lefties and righties