Win a copy of Design for the Mind this week in the Design forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

chapter 3 in K&B Book

 
Mahmoud Hossam
Ranch Hand
Posts: 74
Linux Netbeans IDE Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I studied the chapter as I should,I understood all the concepts required to solve the self-test,but only managed to solve 4 out of the 13 questions right

what should I do now?

Also,If there was any mistakes in the chapter,please refer me to them

thanks in advance
 
Sunil Tiwari
Ranch Hand
Posts: 49
Clojure Redhat Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Mahmoud Hossam wrote:I studied the chapter as I should,I understood all the concepts required to solve the self-test,but only managed to solve 4 out of the 13 questions right

what should I do now?

Also,If there was any mistakes in the chapter,please refer me to them

thanks in advance


My simple suggestion is to revisit the chapter and reinforce your understanding!
Well, you can also look to the solution provided of the self-test and try understanding why it happened so!

you can as well start a new thread with questions, that you think, are incorrect and get the feedback from Saloon members.
 
Mahmoud Hossam
Ranch Hand
Posts: 74
Linux Netbeans IDE Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
well,I looked at the answers,some of them didn't make sense,but when I run the code,I rest assured that the answer is right

there's one particular question that's not clear to me,which is question no.10 in this chapter

where exactly are the five objects that were created?
 
Abimaran Kugathasan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2066
Clojure IntelliJ IDE Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Mahmoud Hossam wrote:
what should I do now?
Also,If there was any mistakes in the chapter,please refer me to them


Go through the Chapter again, if you have any doubt, post it here, and Check the Errata of that book here, in this forum!
 
Mahmoud Hossam
Ranch Hand
Posts: 74
Linux Netbeans IDE Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Abimaran Kugathasan wrote:
Mahmoud Hossam wrote:
what should I do now?
Also,If there was any mistakes in the chapter,please refer me to them


Go through the Chapter again, if you have any doubt, post it here, and Check the Errata of that book here, in this forum!


can you give me a link to this errata,please?


also,if anyone has another source of questions for this specific chapter,I'd be grateful if he referred me to them
 
Ankit Garg
Sheriff
Posts: 9519
22
Android Google Web Toolkit Hibernate IntelliJ IDE Java Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Mahmoud Hossam wrote:can you give me a link to this errata,please?

The errata of the book is not confirmed yet, but still you can find it here...
 
Mahmoud Hossam
Ranch Hand
Posts: 74
Linux Netbeans IDE Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ankit Garg wrote:
Mahmoud Hossam wrote:can you give me a link to this errata,please?

The errata of the book is not confirmed yet, but still you can find it here...


Thanks,Ankit
 
Sunil Tiwari
Ranch Hand
Posts: 49
Clojure Redhat Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
If Errata page doesn't help you much, you can post the question.
Saloon members can help you in getting the understanding.
 
Mahmoud Hossam
Ranch Hand
Posts: 74
Linux Netbeans IDE Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Sunil Tiwari wrote:If Errata page doesn't help you much, you can post the question.
Saloon members can help you in getting the understanding.


Okay,I will

Thanks to you too

one last question,Is it a good idea to go through these concepts in another book (e.g. Khalid mughal's) ?
 
Prasad Kharkar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 446
1
Eclipse IDE MySQL Database Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
well if you have understood the concepts well in the K & B
then you can go through another book
but if you still are uncomfortable with the K & B
I recommend you read it once again
and then for further reading... refer another book
 
Abimaran Kugathasan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2066
Clojure IntelliJ IDE Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Mahmoud Hossam wrote:
one last question,Is it a good idea to go through these concepts in another book (e.g. Khalid mughal's) ?


I strongly recommended to go through K&B's book, it's very friendly, and easy to understand! This my personal experience! And, it doesn't have that much of Errors(10 out of 13 in a single chapter), probably you'd understood the concepts wrongly, Please, post those questions and your answers here, then moderators will help you. It's the best book for SCJP!
 
Mahmoud Hossam
Ranch Hand
Posts: 74
Linux Netbeans IDE Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Abimaran Kugathasan wrote:
Mahmoud Hossam wrote:
one last question,Is it a good idea to go through these concepts in another book (e.g. Khalid mughal's) ?


I strongly recommended to go through K&B's book, it's very friendly, and easy to understand! This my personal experience! And, it doesn't have that much of Errors(10 out of 13 in a single chapter), probably you'd understood the concepts wrongly, Please, post those questions and your answers here, then moderators will help you. It's the best book for SCJP!


sometimes it's nice to see things from a different angle,my primary source will be K&B for sure,I'll just use the other book for when I need more questions/more clarification

my last resort is usually here

thanks everyone
 
Bert Bates
author
Sheriff
Posts: 8898
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey Mahmoud,

A couple of ideas:

- Did you make flashcards?
- Can you mention specific topics that are confusing to you?
- Did you try to compile the code for the questions you got wrong? (It'll help your learning to type the code in!)
- Did you make changes to the code to experiment and see how changes affect the results?

We always recommend asking AND answering questions here at JavaRanch. The very act of having to write down a specific question often will lead you, all by yourself, to see where your understanding is still weak. It's amazing what the act of writing can do for learning!

hth,

Bert
 
Mahmoud Hossam
Ranch Hand
Posts: 74
Linux Netbeans IDE Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Bert Bates wrote:Hey Mahmoud,

A couple of ideas:

- Did you make flashcards?
- Can you mention specific topics that are confusing to you?
- Did you try to compile the code for the questions you got wrong? (It'll help your learning to type the code in!)
- Did you make changes to the code to experiment and see how changes affect the results?

We always recommend asking AND answering questions here at JavaRanch. The very act of having to write down a specific question often will lead you, all by yourself, to see where your understanding is still weak. It's amazing what the act of writing can do for learning!

hth,

Bert


Thanks for your reply,Bert

-No,I didn't try to do that,I'll see if I can

-some topics that are confusing to me are garbage collection in chapter 3,and parsing/tokenizing in chapter 6

-well,when I find myself confused about a question,I try to compile the code,and most of the time the code is right

-No,when I find out that the code is right,I get the idea and move on to the next

I'll try to be here more on javaranch, I'm sure I'll benefit greatly

Thanks again for your wonderful suggestions,Bert

I'll go through the chapter again, check the self test answers and see what I got wrong and why that happened

Then I'll try to answer some mock exams about the topics I studied so far
 
Prateek Rawal
Ranch Hand
Posts: 90
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Bert,

I didn't make FlashCards but im doing the rest 3.

As far as the topics which are doubtful are concerned, i think im not able to understand
Objective 3 of Threading: Synchronization.....

I'm not sure whether it is lack of my understanding or the explanation lacks somewhere.....

What should i do? Help me out!!!

Waiting for enlightenment.....
 
Harshit Sethi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 75
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator



there's one particular question that's not clear to me,which is question no.10 in this chapter

where exactly are the five objects that were created?



Actually the five objects created are as follows:
1.Dozens[]da=new Dozens[3] //One array object created ,all references are null for now.
2.da[0]=new Dozens();//Now first refernce of above array is instantiated and the constructor of class Dozens runs which initializes the array int[] dz,thus 2 objects created in this step.
3.Dozens d=new Dozens();//Another object created and d refers to it and also int[]dz array object created ,thus 2 objects in this step.

4.da[1]=d; //the first reference of array Dozens[] refers to object referred by d,no new object created.

Thus overall 5 objects are created.
 
Harshit Sethi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 75
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Tip: try solving these type of questions by drawing heap diagram that helps a lot and when you draw an object on heap ,also draw the instance variables within it.That will help you to get through all these questions.

I hope this helps.
Regards.
 
Abimaran Kugathasan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2066
Clojure IntelliJ IDE Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Harshit Sethi, If you start a new thread with this question, then it'll better!
 
Harshit Sethi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 75
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I want to tell that guy how five objects are created.I don't have any problem in this question .so i don't need to start a new thread.
 
Abimaran Kugathasan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 2066
Clojure IntelliJ IDE Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Harshit Sethi wrote:I want to tell that guy how five objects are created.I don't have any problem in this question .so i don't need to start a new thread.

Then Sorry for misunderstand!
 
Harshit Sethi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 75
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
That's okay.No problem at all.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic