wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes Other Open Source Projects and the fly likes Competitors to Lucene Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Murach's Java Servlets and JSP this week in the Servlets forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Products » Other Open Source Projects
Bookmark "Competitors to Lucene" Watch "Competitors to Lucene" New topic
Author

Competitors to Lucene

Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8903

Who are the competitors to Lucene ?


Groovy
Ankit Garg
Sheriff

Joined: Aug 03, 2008
Posts: 9291
    
  17

Lucene is not a commercial product, if you want to know about substitutes of Lucene, have a look here or here...

[Edit: Fixed the 2nd URL, I'm losing my sanity]


SCJP 6 | SCWCD 5 | Javaranch SCJP FAQ | SCWCD Links
David Newton
Author
Rancher

Joined: Sep 29, 2008
Posts: 12617

(I think those are the same links :)
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8903

The link says lucene is search engine which author's sample chapter 1 disagrees. Luncene is for information retrieval.
David Newton
Author
Rancher

Joined: Sep 29, 2008
Posts: 12617

How do you determine what information to retrieve? By searching. From the Lucene home page:
Apache Lucene is a high-performance, full-featured text search engine library written entirely in Java. It is a technology suitable for nearly any application that requires full-text search, especially cross-platform.
Lester Burnham
Rancher

Joined: Oct 14, 2008
Posts: 1337
I think that page is somewhat misleading, as it lumps together various pieces of software that are related to searching. For example, it features Lucene (as a search engine), Solr (a search server based on Lucene) and Nutch (a web spider built on top of Solr). Not all of them are comparable to each other.
Hussein Baghdadi
clojure forum advocate
Bartender

Joined: Nov 08, 2003
Posts: 3476

I don't think it is misleading, it is a home page for Lucene and related projects.
Same thing for Hadoop home page.
David Newton
Author
Rancher

Joined: Sep 29, 2008
Posts: 12617

I think Lester was talking about the search engine page, not the Lucene home page.

The thing is, "search engine" means a lot of different things, so I don't really think it's misleading.
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8903

Ankit Garg wrote:Lucene is not a commercial product, if you want to know about substitutes of Lucene, have a look here or here...

[Edit: Fixed the 2nd URL, I'm losing my sanity]


I am aware of that. There will always be competition whether open source or not.
Otis Gospodnetic
Author
Greenhorn

Joined: Dec 30, 2004
Posts: 23
Pradeep bhatt wrote:Who are the competitors to Lucene ?


People sometimes use Sphinx or Xapian.
Or Endeca, or FAST, or Google Search Appliance, or... or they use Solr.

Otis


Lucene in Action: http://www.manning.com/lucene
Pradeep bhatt
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 27, 2002
Posts: 8903

Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
Pradeep bhatt wrote:Who are the competitors to Lucene ?


People sometimes use Sphinx or Xapian.
Or Endeca, or FAST, or Google Search Appliance, or... or they use Solr.

Otis


Thanks again author. How do they stand against Lucene ?
Otis Gospodnetic
Author
Greenhorn

Joined: Dec 30, 2004
Posts: 23
Pradeep bhatt wrote:
Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
Pradeep bhatt wrote:Who are the competitors to Lucene ?


People sometimes use Sphinx or Xapian.
Or Endeca, or FAST, or Google Search Appliance, or... or they use Solr.

Otis


Thanks again author. How do they stand against Lucene ?


The commercial ones are losing in the long run
The free ones are behind in terms of adoption, community, and maybe some other things. They may be better at something, too.

Otis
Gian Franco
blacksmith
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 16, 2003
Posts: 977
...this article is an interesting read
on the subject...

Gian


"Eppur si muove!"
Gian Franco
blacksmith
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 16, 2003
Posts: 977
Open-source, like the dominating Lucene, of course do not require
licensing costs but might demand development resources...

If proprietary products bundle or work with open-source components
such as Lucene, it helps them to have more complete and cheaper
solutions on their shelves.

Cheers,

Gian
Otis Gospodnetic
Author
Greenhorn

Joined: Dec 30, 2004
Posts: 23
Gian Franco wrote:Open-source, like the dominating Lucene, of course do not require
licensing costs but might demand development resources...

If proprietary products bundle or work with open-source components
such as Lucene, it helps them to have more complete and cheaper
solutions on their shelves.

Cheers,

Gian


Example: Attivio uses Lucene at its core, but adds some unique functionality. It ain't cheap, though!

Otis
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Competitors to Lucene
 
Similar Threads
competitors to MVC
jsp & google search "something site:www.myhomepage.com"
Lucene in Action
Lucene
hibernate search vs lucene