This week's book giveaway is in the Servlets forum.
We're giving away four copies of Murach's Java Servlets and JSP and have Joel Murach on-line!
See this thread for details.
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Your mobile , your style Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Murach's Java Servlets and JSP this week in the Servlets forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Your mobile , your style" Watch "Your mobile , your style" New topic
Author

Your mobile , your style

chetan dhumane
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 07, 2009
Posts: 629

Which mobile you are using currently.
I do have Nokia 6020. My college days mobile

Which is yours ?
Whats your style mantra then...


Please attach the snapshot. Lets see which mobile is more popular.


http://www.androcid.com/
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 14074
    
  16

iPhone 3GS.

But I want an Android phone. The HTC Desire looks very nice. When the contract for my iPhone ends (which is not before the end of 2011...) I'll have a look what Android phones will be available by then and choose a nice one.

I want an Android phone because programming for it is much easier (I've tried Objective-C for the iPhone but didn't like it) and you're not subject to Apple's stranglehold on the iPhone app store.


Java Beginners FAQ - JavaRanch SCJP FAQ - The Java Tutorial - Java SE 7 API documentation
Scala Notes - My blog about Scala
chetan dhumane
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 07, 2009
Posts: 629

Jesper Young wrote:iPhone 3GS.

But I want an Android phone. The HTC Desire looks very nice. When the contract for my iPhone ends (which is not before the end of 2011...) I'll have a look what Android phones will be available by then and choose a nice one.

I want an Android phone because programming for it is much easier (I've tried Objective-C for the iPhone but didn't like it) and you're not subject to Apple's stranglehold on the iPhone app store.

Thats true.
You become the slave of iPhone.
Pramod P Deore
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 15, 2008
Posts: 629

I am using Nokia 7610. But in office I am using G1 and Nexus. I want to buy NEXUS of my own.


Life is easy because we write the source code.....
David O'Meara
Rancher

Joined: Mar 06, 2001
Posts: 13459

I've been using the HTC Desire for about 2-3 weeks and I'm very impressed.
chetan dhumane
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 07, 2009
Posts: 629

David O'Meara wrote:I've been using the HTC Desire for about 2-3 weeks and I'm very impressed.

Have you used Sony Xperia X10 ?
akash kumar
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 13, 2007
Posts: 63
I own 5800. It's an absolute allrounder..
David O'Meara
Rancher

Joined: Mar 06, 2001
Posts: 13459

My wife has an iPhone and my last phone was a Nokia N95. IMO the iPhone is good, as far as it goes, but by being easy to use it sacrifices some versatility. Out of the box the HTC Desire doesn't compare (again all in my opinion) but after a few weeks I am gradually getting it set up the way I want it.

eg
The iPhone has icons as does the HTC, but the HTC icon links to the application while the iPhone icon is the application. If you remove the iPhone icon (too easy to do by grubby fingered children, in my experience!) then the app is uninstalled, while in the HTC you just need to readd the icon to the screen. You can also have the icon in multiple places. The HTC also has 'widgets' that attach to the screen so for example I always have one screen out of seven dedicated to a photo slide show using a full screen widget. None of this makes or breaks the phone, just some little points of difference.
Hussein Baghdadi
clojure forum advocate
Bartender

Joined: Nov 08, 2003
Posts: 3476

chetan dhumane wrote:
Thats true.
You become the slave of iPhone.

iPhone isn't enslaving any one.
iPhone isn't for every body's taste neither Android, neither any other device.
If you don't like the iPhone, don't buy it.
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 60755
    
  65

LG Cosmos


[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
Hussein Baghdadi
clojure forum advocate
Bartender

Joined: Nov 08, 2003
Posts: 3476

Jesper Young wrote:
I want an Android phone because programming for it is much easier (I've tried Objective-C for the iPhone but didn't like it) and you're not subject to Apple's stranglehold on the iPhone app store.

IMVHO:
* Google doesn't care about Android market all, doesn't care about the apps quality and doesn't care about the users.
Just check into Android market to see all kinds of trashy apps not to mention the illegal use of many registered trade marks.
All what they care about is to prevent Apple from getting all the ads revenues of mobiles.
* Google doesn't employ an approval policy in Android market not because the believe in the freedom of developers and users.
They don't have an approval policy because they know it brings a lot of headaches and even they want to deploy such a policy, they can't find a policy better than Apple's.
Google isn't really different from Apple, Microsoft and Oracle.
After all they are money making machines...
marc weber
Sheriff

Joined: Aug 31, 2004
Posts: 11343

I can't imagine using anything other than an iPhone. But that's just me.


"We're kind of on the level of crossword puzzle writers... And no one ever goes to them and gives them an award." ~Joe Strummer
sscce.org
Wouter Oet
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Oct 25, 2008
Posts: 2700

I'm the very proud owner of the HTC Desire. It's a great phone and would not trade it for any other phone (even the iLockIn ehm... I mean the iPhone ) But that's just me.


"Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand." --- Martin Fowler
Please correct my English.
chetan dhumane
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 07, 2009
Posts: 629

John Todd wrote:
Jesper Young wrote:
I want an Android phone because programming for it is much easier (I've tried Objective-C for the iPhone but didn't like it) and you're not subject to Apple's stranglehold on the iPhone app store.

IMVHO:
* Google doesn't care about Android market all, doesn't care about the apps quality and doesn't care about the users.
Just check into Android market to see all kinds of trashy apps not to mention the illegal use of many registered trade marks.
All what they care about is to prevent Apple from getting all the ads revenues of mobiles.
* Google doesn't employ an approval policy in Android market not because the believe in the freedom of developers and users.
They don't have an approval policy because they know it brings a lot of headaches and even they want to deploy such a policy, they can't find a policy better than Apple's.
Google isn't really different from Apple, Microsoft and Oracle.
After all they are money making machines...


I do agree.
chetan dhumane
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 07, 2009
Posts: 629

John Todd wrote:
chetan dhumane wrote:
Thats true.
You become the slave of iPhone.

iPhone isn't enslaving any one.
iPhone isn't for every body's taste neither Android, neither any other device.
If you don't like the iPhone, don't buy it.


Hey Instead of that think about the satellite phone.
Christophe Verré
Sheriff

Joined: Nov 24, 2005
Posts: 14687
    
  16

Docomo F906i


[My Blog]
All roads lead to JavaRanch
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jul 26, 2007
Posts: 10167
    
    8

LG RD 6600


It's got voice calls and SMS.
For everything else I got a Canon S2iS, iPod and Mac/Ubuntu. For me a phone should be a phone.


[How to ask questions] [Donate a pint, save a life!] [Onff-turn it on!]
akash kumar
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 13, 2007
Posts: 63
Maneesh Godbole wrote:LG RD 6600


It's got voice calls and SMS.
For everything else I got a Canon S2iS, iPod and Mac/Ubuntu. For me a phone should be a phone.


If a phone can be a phone + some more features why woudn't one want it?

For example my 5800 is a good phone + excellent music player(with a senheiser headphone) can be compared with ipod + good video player,comes with 8 GB memory card + internet browser (opera, wifi/gprs) + office editor(quick office) + ebook reader (adobe pdf )+ mobile camera quality(can't compare it with canon) + some games like chess, skyforce reloaded + maps with GPS + smart applications like auto profile changer with timer, calendar & gps options + auto answering , call recording or terminating application + some more....

what do you say??
Wouter Oet
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Oct 25, 2008
Posts: 2700

* Bragging mode on *

I'm now in the train on my laptop connected with the internet by the hotspot created by my phone
You've got to love technology

* Bragging mode off *
chetan dhumane
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 07, 2009
Posts: 629

Wouter Oet wrote:* Bragging mode on *

I'm now in the train on my laptop connected with the internet by the hotspot created by my phone
You've got to love technology

* Bragging mode off *

Can you just put your mobile name with pic
Wouter Oet
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Oct 25, 2008
Posts: 2700

I already said what my phone is but hell let's do it again, this time with pic: it's the HTC Desire with Android 2.2.
forums UseR
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 24, 2009
Posts: 169
Droid with Android 2.1-update1

I use it extensively for
1. making/receiving calls
2. GPS
3. MS outlook, Gmail, browsing, yahoo mail, Calendars, etc.
4. facebook
5. camera (5 MP) also record video
6. Stickie pad

Now and then I download free apps, the current apps I use most are: weather, some quotes.
Christophe Verré
Sheriff

Joined: Nov 24, 2005
Posts: 14687
    
  16

Wouter Oet wrote:I already said what my phone is but hell let's do it again, this time with pic: it's the HTC Desire with Android 2.2.

Looking good !
chetan dhumane
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 07, 2009
Posts: 629

Christophe Verré wrote:
Wouter Oet wrote:I already said what my phone is but hell let's do it again, this time with pic: it's the HTC Desire with Android 2.2.

Looking good !

I think many people here are using the HTC Desire.
The phone seems so cool ....
Christophe Verré
Sheriff

Joined: Nov 24, 2005
Posts: 14687
    
  16

I've just checked the price Ouch...
David O'Meara
Rancher

Joined: Mar 06, 2001
Posts: 13459

I got my HTC Desire here in Oz, but it was zero up front and essentially the same contract as I was on previously.
Christophe Verré
Sheriff

Joined: Nov 24, 2005
Posts: 14687
    
  16

David O'Meara wrote:I got my HTC Desire here in Oz, but it was zero up front and essentially the same contract as I was on previously.

I'm Oz ?

[Dave - superpowers ftw ]
chetan dhumane
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 07, 2009
Posts: 629

What about Sony Xperia X10
Any one has the cool experience about it.


You can share your experiences of this phone.
 
wood burning stoves
 
subject: Your mobile , your style
 
Similar Threads
How to develop Mobile Applications
Appliction error in Mobile Nokia 6020
Datagram socket in MIDP2.0
Nokia 6600 HTTP Call thru T-Mobile Network in U.S.A
Warning: unable to start the emulator