GeeCON Prague 2014*
The moose likes Jobs Discussion and the fly likes US Senate approves steep hike in H1B fee Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


JavaRanch » Java Forums » Careers » Jobs Discussion
Bookmark "US Senate approves steep hike in H1B fee " Watch "US Senate approves steep hike in H1B fee " New topic
Author

US Senate approves steep hike in H1B fee

Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 16, 2007
Posts: 1374
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/86628/us-senate-approves-steep-hike.html

Lester Burnham
Rancher

Joined: Oct 14, 2008
Posts: 1337
What does it matter? That's probably less than 14 days wages at the prevailing rate (not that the applicant generally pays for it anyway).
Mike Isano
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 19, 2007
Posts: 144

Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 16, 2007
Posts: 1374
I thumbed down because they have increased it insanely. Why did you thumb up?
Mike Isano
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 19, 2007
Posts: 144

Thumbs up because it gives a small advantage to citizens.
Luke Kolin
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 04, 2002
Posts: 336
Mike Isano wrote:Thumbs up because it gives a small advantage to citizens.


... and permanent residents, and H1B holders that don't work for foreign body shops.

Cheers!

Luke
Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 16, 2007
Posts: 1374
Mike Isano wrote:
Thumbs up because it gives a small advantage to citizens.


Monetary?
Jaikiran Pai
Marshal

Joined: Jul 20, 2005
Posts: 10146
    
165

Vikas Kapoor wrote:
Mike Isano wrote:
Thumbs up because it gives a small advantage to citizens.


Monetary?


More job opportunities.

[My Blog] [JavaRanch Journal]
Lester Burnham
Rancher

Joined: Oct 14, 2008
Posts: 1337
... they have increased it insanely.

$2000 to secure the services of a qualified employee is chicken feed. I bet you have no idea what recruiters charge.
Vikas Kapoor
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 16, 2007
Posts: 1374
Jaikiran Pai wrote:More job opportunities.


This may not be the case otherwise they could have simply closed the H1 category.

Lester wrote:$2000 to secure the services of a qualified employee is chicken feed. I bet you have no idea what recruiters charge.


I am not talking about some fees figure like 2000 but the hike from just 320 to 2000. There is no "base". For example, the gas price varies in cents with some base evidence behind that change.
Lester Burnham
Rancher

Joined: Oct 14, 2008
Posts: 1337
Why shouldn't the US government charge what the market will bear? I bet that all visas will still be snapped up at the higher rate (which, I repeat, is laughably small compared to what a software engineer makes in the 3 years that visa is valid). I think the fee could be much higher still before it reduces the number of visa applications; I think a valid point could be made that only then it's at the correct level - if people/companies pay (or don't pay) what they think it's worth.

Also, those fees are used for programs to train America workers and get them back to work, which -the unemployment rate being what it is- seems a better goal for a government than to import an ever larger workforce.
Gaurav Raje
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 23, 2010
Posts: 136
Lester Burnham wrote:Why shouldn't the US government charge what the market will bear? I bet that all visas will still be snapped up at the higher rate (which, I repeat, is laughably small compared to what a software engineer makes in the 3 years that visa is valid). I think the fee could be much higher still before it reduces the number of visa applications; I think a valid point could be made that only then it's at the correct level - if people/companies pay (or don't pay) what they think it's worth.

Also, those fees are used for programs to train America workers and get them back to work, which -the unemployment rate being what it is- seems a better goal for a government than to import an ever larger workforce.


No issues about increasing the rate. The reason is what strikes me. They have stated that the rate is higher for companies with more than 50% foreign workers. This is ethnic segregation of companies. Not to mention against the WTO rules. If the government is so keen on not having any kinda segregation based on race why so much of disparity exists in the laws regarding ethnicity.

The government is ok with cubans crossing illegally into the US waters and claiming citizenship. Most of them uneducated.
Reference : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_feet,_dry_feet_policy
However the government has a strict stand against the skilled software engineers.

If a company is hiring the skilled professioinals, they have to provide labor certificate which again is scrutinized by the attorneys and judges. The h1b visa itself is not awarded for people who donot fit the requirements. Most of the applicants are people with a Masters and/or a Phd degree.

For a country with a history of immigration, i really fail to understand this stand of the government. Especially against some of the most highly educated people.
Luke Kolin
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 04, 2002
Posts: 336
Gaurav Raje wrote:No issues about increasing the rate. The reason is what strikes me. They have stated that the rate is higher for companies with more than 50% foreign workers. This is ethnic segregation of companies. Not to mention against the WTO rules. If the government is so keen on not having any kinda segregation based on race why so much of disparity exists in the laws regarding ethnicity.


I'm not sure why you consider it ethnic or racial segregation. I'm a white, native speaking Anglophone who used to be an H-1B worker. If over 50% of my workforce is white, native speaking Anglophones born on the wrong side of the border I pay the fee too. It's one of the few intelligent choices the US government has made in terms of immigration law - it doesn't penalize companies who need to hire a few people born outside the US. It does manage to penalize those companies who coincidentally hire lots of people from the same part of the world as the owners.

If a company is hiring the skilled professioinals, they have to provide labor certificate which again is scrutinized by the attorneys and judges.


The LCA for an H-1B is not a Labor Certification.

For a country with a history of immigration, i really fail to understand this stand of the government. Especially against some of the most highly educated people.


Those highly educated people can go work for companies who don't show a curious preference for people of a particular ethnic group or nationality. If they have the skills and can qualify on their own merits, I don't see how that's a problem.

Cheers!

Luke
Jaikiran Pai
Marshal

Joined: Jul 20, 2005
Posts: 10146
    
165

Gaurav Raje wrote:
No issues about increasing the rate. The reason is what strikes me. They have stated that the rate is higher for companies with more than 50% foreign workers. This is ethnic segregation of companies. Not to mention against the WTO rules. If the government is so keen on not having any kinda segregation based on race why so much of disparity exists in the laws regarding ethnicity.

The government is ok with cubans crossing illegally into the US waters and claiming citizenship. Most of them uneducated.
Reference : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_feet,_dry_feet_policy
However the government has a strict stand against the skilled software engineers.

I don't see how increasing the fee for the visa has anything to do with racial or ethnic issue. If a company has more than 50% of foreign workers, it most probably has to do with the fact that it works out cheaper and not because they are more skilled than the natives. And if at all the company thinks that, that 50% of that workforce is worth it, then they certainly aren't losing anything by paying more.

Gaurav Raje wrote:
Most of the applicants are people with a Masters and/or a Phd degree.


That's not true.
Gaurav Raje
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 23, 2010
Posts: 136
Jaikiran Pai wrote:
Gaurav Raje wrote:
Most of the applicants are people with a Masters and/or a Phd degree.


That's not true.


The H1 B pool has a reservation of 20000 applicants with a masters degree. There are quite a few applicants apart from these 20000 applicants who get an H1 B through the general pool of 60000. Apart from that, phds working as post docs in research institutions are not counted in this pool. Same goes for transfers. Hence I guess not half... but a significant amount of people would land up in this pool. May be not the ones affected by the hike... but over all in the general H1 B applicants
Jimmy Clark
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 16, 2008
Posts: 2187
American Jobs should go to American citizens first...fees should be adjusted to make companies pay extra if they want to import talent from other countries (and pay lower salaries) ...It is only right....pay your fare!
Avishkar Nikale
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 06, 2010
Posts: 173
These 2 questions are for my deeper understanding of what governments/organizations view about jobs are.

The question is regarding the ownership of the concept of a job.

A company X has offices in country A & country B with 50 people employed in each country(100 in total)

and is headquartered in lets say country B but deems itself as a multinational company.

As a business entity the motive of X is to generate profit for its shareholders.

Now company X decides to move 1 job from A to B or B to A(its a move of the job).

Q1) The question is who owns or is the primary stake holder in the job,
the country which facilitates the entity to exists, provides resources, etc.
or the organization which brings the business , works in the domain.

Q2) Also why employees are always treated as resources(something which cost money) rather than assets
or internal customers?

Please provide your rationale & any economic principle you might be referring to.

This is just food for my thought & has little relation to the post above.



Regards,
Avishkar Nikale
Subramani Shiva
Greenhorn

Joined: Dec 28, 2009
Posts: 23
Interesting article to check out..!
IBM is India's second largest private sector employer and in couple of years it could cross its US employee strength...!
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/6327859.cms
 
GeeCON Prague 2014
 
subject: US Senate approves steep hike in H1B fee