aspose file tools*
The moose likes Other Languages and the fly likes symbian ++ Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Spring in Action this week in the Spring forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Languages » Other Languages
Bookmark "symbian ++" Watch "symbian ++" New topic
Author

symbian ++

Kothari Ankur
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 22, 2010
Posts: 15
can anyone give me a good tutorial on symbian c++? i need to find the cell id using that, i have tried reading some tuts from nokia but i found them too tough.....
Liu Xing
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 19, 2010
Posts: 12
Kothari Ankur wrote:can anyone give me a good tutorial on symbian c++? i need to find the cell id using that, i have tried reading some tuts from nokia but i found them too tough.....

Symian is being dead.
Please try Meego.
Hauke Ingmar Schmidt
Rancher

Joined: Nov 18, 2008
Posts: 433
    
    2
Liu Xing wrote:
Kothari Ankur wrote:can anyone give me a good tutorial on symbian c++? i need to find the cell id using that, i have tried reading some tuts from nokia but i found them too tough.....

Symian is being dead.
Please try Meego.


The list of devices running Meego is ... quite short (0 plus the showcase N900 and the notsogoodasannounced product Wetab - did I miss some?) while Symbian still accounts for around 40% of smartphones, the quite recent N8 the first one using Symbian^3 (the version number is being dropped now).

But true, Symbian is de facto being reduced to the OS of Nokia phones solely where it was multi-vendor before. And the future seems not easy going for it.

(For the original question: I may have the chance to look it up within the next few days. Please have patience. A more specialised forum might be better suited.)
Liu Xing
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 19, 2010
Posts: 12
Hauke Ingmar Schmidt wrote:
Liu Xing wrote:
Kothari Ankur wrote:can anyone give me a good tutorial on symbian c++? i need to find the cell id using that, i have tried reading some tuts from nokia but i found them too tough.....

Symian is being dead.
Please try Meego.


The list of devices running Meego is ... quite short (0 plus the showcase N900 and the notsogoodasannounced product Wetab - did I miss some?) while Symbian still accounts for around 40% of smartphones, the quite recent N8 the first one using Symbian^3 (the version number is being dropped now).

But true, Symbian is de facto being reduced to the OS of Nokia phones solely where it was multi-vendor before. And the future seems not easy going for it.

(For the original question: I may have the chance to look it up within the next few days. Please have patience. A more specialised forum might be better suited.)

Right.

But Symbian is going for low end.

Meego will go for high end.

I think in 2008 there are not so many Android phones.

But look at today.

How will people at that that time predict that Android will be so strong today?

Look at the mobile devices list?

No. That is for hardware.

Sorry, I am just a software developer, I just look at the codes.

There are no more developers commit the source code on Symbian any more.

But at Meego, so many updates and sources code commit nowadays.
Hauke Ingmar Schmidt
Rancher

Joined: Nov 18, 2008
Posts: 433
    
    2
I wouldn't call the N8 exactly a "low end" product... In fact if Symbian survives Nokia will continue to use it for high end devices, as well as mid-range and low end products with a more limited profile.

Android was the first major contender for the iPhone and got it's share. Bada struggles to get a noticable share. Windows Phone 7 is a disappointment in sales.

I doubt there is a market for yet another phone (and other mobiles) OS. It's not 2008 anymore with one shiny new smartphone with overwhelming success and dusty looking hard- and software at the other manufacturers. The Android story can't be copied. At least I would be very careful to invest time into a system which is not in use and only promises something for the future.

And Symbian, as a de facto Nokia product nowadays, is developed in-house.

But well, that are just predictions. Lets see what happens.
Hauke Ingmar Schmidt
Rancher

Joined: Nov 18, 2008
Posts: 433
    
    2
Hauke Ingmar Schmidt wrote:I wouldn't call the N8 exactly a "low end" product... In fact if Symbian survives Nokia will continue to use it for high end devices, as well as mid-range and low end products with a more limited profile.


I am wrong here. At least the upcoming Atom powered N9 seems to faciliate Meego, in fact the architecture Meego was designed for in the first place.
 
 
subject: symbian ++