• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Problem in getting # symbol from URL

 
Jay Rpatel
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
For my project I am sending the HTML value from one text editor. For that I had set the character set to UTF-8. Here I am sending value through URL. In the text editor I am Providing the facility of changing the color of text.

Now when I change the color of text then on the servlet page where I had to get those values and to store it on database, am not able to get the entire value from URL. I am just getting the value before '#' symbol.

Ex.
I am sending following HTML value from URL.

<p>Add Your Text<font class="Apple-style-span" color="#FFCC33"> Here.</font></p>

and while getting this value on servlet I got URL:

localhost:23056/OUMS/recent_event?text=%3Cp%3EAdd%20Your%20Text%3Cfont%20class=%22Apple-style-span%22%20color=%22#FFCC33%22%3E%20Here.%3C/font%3E%3C/p%3E%20%20&col_id=c1

And when I display the value of 'text' variable then it shows:

<p>Add Your Text<font class="Apple-style-span" color="

Here it is noticeable that value of 'text' variable after '#' symbol is not visible on my servlet page.
What's the Solution of this??

Please Reply fast...

>
 
Paul Sturrock
Bartender
Posts: 10336
Eclipse IDE Hibernate Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
A hash symbol has meaning in a URL (it links to a fragment identifier in a document). You will need to URL encode it.
 
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 64717
86
IntelliJ IDE Java jQuery Mac Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
How are you URL-encoding your values such that the # is not being correctly encoded?

You aren't doing it with your own code, are you?
 
Jay Rpatel
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
But can you help me how to encode the URL, and let me know you that before around 20 days this problem was not raised where I was using the same code. but after formatting my laptop and installing softwares again I start getting this problem
 
Paul Clapham
Sheriff
Pie
Posts: 20980
31
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Use one of the static methods from the java.net.URLEncoder class. Encode the parameter values. That's all you have to do in your code. Rebooting and reinstalling should have no effect if you do that.
 
Jay Rpatel
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks all for your valuable suggestions I had tried URLEncoding but still it was causing problem in safari browser where it was working perfectly with mozila.
So I find another way that now I am sending the value through hidden variable to servlet and now it is working perfectly.


 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic