aspose file tools*
The moose likes JBoss/WildFly and the fly likes Is there a jboss installation tutorial for mac os x, for total newbies? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Products » JBoss/WildFly
Bookmark "Is there a jboss installation tutorial for mac os x, for total newbies?" Watch "Is there a jboss installation tutorial for mac os x, for total newbies?" New topic
Author

Is there a jboss installation tutorial for mac os x, for total newbies?

Oliver Chase
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 09, 2010
Posts: 15
Hi,

I must say that I am mystified by jboss. I am obviously new, but I do want to ask if it is common for newbies to think that the Jboss documentation is hard to understand. Step 1 is to download the jboss AS, and on sourceforge, in green, it's got jboss osgi installer, which is what I downloaded.
I have come to realize that this, the highlighted option, is actually not what you want, but I'm not sure how I would have known that. I don't know what the osgi version is, and I don't know which of the many choices to download.

I'm on a mac, and I've got to use jboss 5.1

Thanks
Jaikiran Pai
Marshal

Joined: Jul 20, 2005
Posts: 10048
    
163

Oliver Chase wrote:

I am obviously new, but I do want to ask if it is common for newbies to think that the Jboss documentation is hard to understand.

As far as installing JBoss AS is concerned, I personally think it isn't a big task. But configuring the server might require going through documentation or asking for help on forums

Oliver Chase wrote:
Step 1 is to download the jboss AS, and on sourceforge, in green, it's got jboss osgi installer, which is what I downloaded.
I have come to realize that this, the highlighted option, is actually not what you want, but I'm not sure how I would have known that. I don't know what the osgi version is, and I don't know which of the many choices to download.

That's really an annoying and stupid thing. Someone pointed that out on the forums around a month back and I tried getting it fixed, but unfortunately the issue seems to be still present. Now, that even explains why one user in this forum started JBoss OSGi installation and then asked why he isn't able to access the JBoss AS services. I'll try to get this fixed with some help from sourceforge.net.

To download JBoss AS 5.1.0, use this direct link for now.

Oliver Chase wrote:
I'm on a mac, and I've got to use jboss 5.1


The installation is exactly the same on any OS. Checkout the (free) chapter 1 of Peter's JBoss In Action book. That will get you started.


[My Blog] [JavaRanch Journal]
Oliver Chase
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 09, 2010
Posts: 15
Hi,
Thanks for your tips! I got it installed, and the reason that I was having some issues is b/c I downloaded the wrong thing and then had to read up a little on the JAVA_HOME environment variable and where the JAVA JDK is on macs.

Now for the truly hard part :>

I think that I will try Jboss in Action b/c although it's slower, I find that I need both parts: the entire picture + learning by doing. Some people just seem to be able to learn by doing alone, lucky them.
Jaikiran Pai
Marshal

Joined: Jul 20, 2005
Posts: 10048
    
163

Jaikiran Pai wrote:
Oliver Chase wrote:
Step 1 is to download the jboss AS, and on sourceforge, in green, it's got jboss osgi installer, which is what I downloaded.
I have come to realize that this, the highlighted option, is actually not what you want, but I'm not sure how I would have known that. I don't know what the osgi version is, and I don't know which of the many choices to download.

That's really an annoying and stupid thing. Someone pointed that out on the forums around a month back and I tried getting it fixed, but unfortunately the issue seems to be still present. Now, that even explains why one user in this forum started JBoss OSGi installation and then asked why he isn't able to access the JBoss AS services. I'll try to get this fixed with some help from sourceforge.net.




Turns out we can't do anything about it for now. The problem is that sourceforge.net has a concept of "Default Download" for a account. For accounts like "JBoss" which have numerous projects (which may not be related to each other), the "Default Download" doesn't really make sense. When a "Default Download" is not explicitly set, sourceforge picks up the latest uploaded artifact and shows the download button for that (the green button). For now there's no way to disable it at sourceforge.net and we'll have to live with it. We'll be raising a feature request at sourceforge to allow a better way to handle this.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Is there a jboss installation tutorial for mac os x, for total newbies?