Hi Chetan, the main goal we've set out to achieve with the book is to discuss how we can better use patterns in delivering software. Today, we see that pattern use is much more limited than it should be. In addition, in cases where patterns are being used - we can do better. With Patterns-Based Engineering we look to be systematic and disciplined and also look to quantify our use of pattern specifications and pattern implementations.
"Normal" use of patterns can mean different things to different people :-) However, what we'd like to see is:
- an organizational and cultural focus and valuation placed on patterns.
- with this focus in place, patterns are part of our discussion throughout the project
- in addition to reusing existing patterns (there are many) we also look for patterns that arise during our project
- not only do we use traditional patterns specifications, but we also look to use automation
- and as we look to use (or build a pattern) thought and analysis goes into the ROI associated with the effort