This week's book giveaway is in the Java 8 forum.
We're giving away four copies of Java 8 in Action and have Raoul-Gabriel Urma, Mario Fusco, and Alan Mycroft on-line!
See this thread for details.
The moose likes Book Reviews and the fly likes OCP Java SE 6 Programmer Practice Exams (Exam 310-065) (Certification Press) Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Java 8 in Action this week in the Java 8 forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Books » Book Reviews
Bookmark "OCP Java SE 6 Programmer Practice Exams (Exam 310-065) (Certification Press)" Watch "OCP Java SE 6 Programmer Practice Exams (Exam 310-065) (Certification Press)" New topic
Forums: Book Reviews Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP)
Author

OCP Java SE 6 Programmer Practice Exams (Exam 310-065) (Certification Press)

Book Review Team
Bartender

Joined: Feb 15, 2002
Posts: 926
Author/s    : Bert Bates, Katherine Sierra
Publisher   : McGraw-Hill Osborne Media
Category   : Java Certification
Review by : Jeanne Boyarsky
Rating        : 9 horseshoes

Disclosure: I was one of the tech reviewers of this book so I'm probably biased. I'm reviewing it anyway and saying *why* I liked things.

1) Lots of questions
2) Clear explanations
3) Advice on how to study
4) Similar looking problems that test different things so your brain doesn't memorize "the answer is 'a' as fast"
5) Harder questions than are on the test and a mapping to to how it would relate to an actual score.

Note this is not like the thick SCJP book that is a study guide to the exam. This book is virtually all practice exams.

More info at Amazon.com
Rajiv Vadehra
Greenhorn

Joined: Mar 01, 2011
Posts: 9

Hi,
Does this book have any master exams along with it as there were in the scjp6 study guide and secondly is it available in India??
Bert Bates
author
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 14, 2002
Posts: 8764
    
    5
Basically the book is nothing but master exams

There are two short exams and four complete, 60 question master exams. It's all on paper though, there is no CD. As far as I know, the book is available in India. Also, you can buy a Kindle version.

hth,

Bert


Spot false dilemmas now, ask me how!
(If you're not on the edge, you're taking up too much room.)
Torsten Oppermann
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 22, 2010
Posts: 62

while i loved the study guide, this purchase was quite dissapointing The exams where extremely hard in comparison to the Real exam and i have to admit that i lost the fun after the first two tests and didnt continue to read it. Maybe it was a motivational problem from myself, so take this with a grain of salt.

The Advices besides the test exams where good and well written but alone for me it wasnt worth the money. If you are hardcore about the exam go for it

(i apologize if this review sounds rude, the authors did a great job on the study guide and im very thankful for them )


OCPJP 6 - 93%
Sidharth Khattri
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 16, 2013
Posts: 121

Torsten Oppermann wrote:while i loved the study guide, this purchase was quite dissapointing The exams where extremely hard in comparison to the Real exam and i have to admit that i lost the fun after the first two tests and didnt continue to read it. Maybe it was a motivational problem from myself, so take this with a grain of salt.

The Advices besides the test exams where good and well written but alone for me it wasnt worth the money. If you are hardcore about the exam go for it

(i apologize if this review sounds rude, the authors did a great job on the study guide and im very thankful for them )


I'm really disappointed with my performance in assessment tests. Is the real exam easy or you're saying that just for the sake of it?


OCPJP 6 - 96%
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 36599
    
  16
I shall try duplicating this discussion in the exam forum in the hope that you will get useful answers there.
Jeanne Boyarsky
internet detective
Marshal

Joined: May 26, 2003
Posts: 29287
    
140

Sidharth Khattri wrote:I'm really disappointed with my performance in assessment tests. Is the real exam easy or you're saying that just for the sake of it?

No the real OCJP 6 exam is not easy. It's that the practice exams are designed to be harder than the real exam to "toughen you up".


[Blog] [JavaRanch FAQ] [How To Ask Questions The Smart Way] [Book Promos]
Blogging on Certs: SCEA Part 1, Part 2 & 3, Core Spring 3, OCAJP, OCPJP beta, TOGAF part 1 and part 2
Sidharth Khattri
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 16, 2013
Posts: 121

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:
Sidharth Khattri wrote:I'm really disappointed with my performance in assessment tests. Is the real exam easy or you're saying that just for the sake of it?

No the real OCJP 6 exam is not easy. It's that the practice exams are designed to be harder than the real exam to "toughen you up".


So I can conclude that the real exam is relatively easier than the questions in this book that will toughen me up.
Jeanne Boyarsky
internet detective
Marshal

Joined: May 26, 2003
Posts: 29287
    
140

Sidharth Khattri wrote:So I can conclude that the real exam is relatively easier than the questions in this book that will toughen me up.

Yes. With the disclaimer that the first test or two are easier. Each exam has an "analyze your results" section which maps how you do on the practice exam to roughly how that relates to the real exam.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: OCP Java SE 6 Programmer Practice Exams (Exam 310-065) (Certification Press)
 
Similar Threads
My path to OCMJEA certification
Sun Certified Enterprise Architect for Java EE Study Guide (2nd Edition)
Growing Object -Oriented Software, Guided by Tests
Passed OCPJP with 88%
Cleared CX-310-091 with 100%