I just managed to install Tomcat 7.05 on Windows 2008 (64bit). It took me a day, partly 2008 being a pain in the ass, but at least half a day because of Tomcat. (I have been using Tomcat since version 3... so I am used to something...)
I will not claim that everything I did was relevant, but I now have a working starting/stopping installation that has icons where they should be.
To start with I dropped the UserAccessControl. Miscrosoft insists that stuff is not compatible with 2008 when of course the reality is the other way around... I love the stability of Windows as a base platform, but i hate that attitude. Anyway, drop the UAC and things start happening. After installation i set the tomcat7.exe and tomcat7w.exe to run as administrator for all users. Stuff still did not start and as per many other posts I removed the tomcat.pid entry from the configuration (and deleted the file) (what is this nonsense anyway!!!)
I could now sucessfully start and stop the service using the Monitor thingy.
However..... the service did NOT start up (or so it seemed) when restarting the machine. This of course is unacceptable. So I wasted a lot of time to find out why it does not start automatically.
Only when i started using my brain I found that it DOES start... unfortunately it also immediately shuts down
[2011-01-12 17:01:23] [info] Commons Daemon procrun (188.8.131.52 64-bit) started
[2011-01-12 17:01:23] [info] Running 'Tomcat7' Service...
[2011-01-12 17:01:23] [info] Starting service...
[2011-01-12 17:01:24] [info] Service started in 1528 ms.
[2011-01-12 17:01:28] [info] Run service finished.
[2011-01-12 17:01:28] [info] Commons Daemon procrun finished
I then decided it was a problem with the Commons Daemon thingy (tomcat7.exe). I dropped in the one from Tomcat 6.0.29 (which did start/stop correctly) renamed it to tomcat7 and presto. Everything works fine
So... Commons Daemon Service Runner 184.108.40.206 is INCOMPATIBLE with Windows 2008, whereas 220.127.116.11 works fine (have not tried 18.104.22.168)
I think this is a very obscure 'bug'.
Hope this helps someone
1. The same problem occurs on Windows 7 Home premium edition (64 bit)
2. Commons Daemon 22.214.171.124 works fine
Just downloaded the latest version 126.96.36.199 from the Commons Daemon site. Works fine...