Granny's Programming Pearls
"inside of every large program is a small program struggling to get out"
JavaRanch.com/granny.jsp
The moose likes IDEs, Version Control and other tools and the fly likes Does anyone know much about IntelliJ? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Murach's Java Servlets and JSP this week in the Servlets forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » IDEs, Version Control and other tools
Bookmark "Does anyone know much about IntelliJ?" Watch "Does anyone know much about IntelliJ?" New topic
Author

Does anyone know much about IntelliJ?

Robert Heath
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 11, 2010
Posts: 94

Has anyone here used IntelliJ to develop any Java Web Applications? I have downloaded the trial version and looked over the website for some tutorials on Java Web Development, and could not find anything. I did stumble onto one tutorial in which the audio was drowned out by static from their microphone. I would assume that any serious product developer would not send out a tutorial like this without listening to it yourself. It looks sort of amateurish. Am I getting the wrong impression? Would I be wasting my time by investigating this IDE?
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 60767
    
  65

IntelliJ is a fantastic IDE.

Be aware that the free community edition has no extra support for web development.


[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jun 25, 2001
Posts: 15952
    
  19

IntelliJ is just about the last IDE out there that still costs money.

When you consider that its free competitors include products like Eclipse and NetBeans, you'd have to figure that simply to remain in business all this time that there are either a lot of stupid people out there or that it has something of value in it.

Well, there are definitely a lot of stupid people, but IntelliJ nevertheless does offer value, and one of the areas that it's best at is UI applications support.

As for myself, I rarely have the patience to watch a bunch of videos trying to sell me things. I'm not into video for video's sake, I don't have the bandwidth to, um "enjoy" it, and far too often, the system I'm sitting at can't handle the video format in use.


Customer surveys are for companies who didn't pay proper attention to begin with.
Robert Heath
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 11, 2010
Posts: 94

Tim Holloway wrote:IntelliJ is just about the last IDE out there that still costs money.

When you consider that its free competitors include products like Eclipse and NetBeans, you'd have to figure that simply to remain in business all this time that there are either a lot of stupid people out there or that it has something of value in it.

Well, there are definitely a lot of stupid people, but IntelliJ nevertheless does offer value, and one of the areas that it's best at is UI applications support.

As for myself, I rarely have the patience to watch a bunch of videos trying to sell me things. I'm not into video for video's sake, I don't have the bandwidth to, um "enjoy" it, and far too often, the system I'm sitting at can't handle the video format in use.


$250 for an individual license is a price where I might want some proof of value, but if it can automate some manual process, hey, I am all for buying it. But if I have to go through a big learning curve, maybe the learning curve costs more than the value of the features being automated.

So for me, the biggest cost is the learning curve, not the $250 price. If I could find something that can reduce the learning curve, maybe I would be a customer.
Jaikiran Pai
Marshal

Joined: Jul 20, 2005
Posts: 9930
    
159

Robert Heath wrote: I did stumble onto one tutorial in which the audio was drowned out by static from their microphone. I would assume that any serious product developer would not send out a tutorial like this without listening to it yourself. It looks sort of amateurish.


Which one was that? Have you checked the videos/demos/docs here?

[My Blog] [JavaRanch Journal]
Robert Heath
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 11, 2010
Posts: 94

Jaikiran Pai wrote:
Robert Heath wrote: I did stumble onto one tutorial in which the audio was drowned out by static from their microphone. I would assume that any serious product developer would not send out a tutorial like this without listening to it yourself. It looks sort of amateurish.


Which one was that? Have you checked the videos/demos/docs here?


Yes, those are the videos that I checked. There are some videos on debugging some programming languages with which I am not familiar. I believe there is one for Groovy, maybe. But there are no videos on any Java type tools. I looked at one video, as I said, and it was pretty bad. If it was me, I wouldn't be releasing something like that to the public without test driving the video first. It is real bad.

So, I don't see any kind of learning process available. I am not big on randomly clicking on one button after another trying to learn this thing. I don't see that process as being very productive.
Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jun 25, 2001
Posts: 15952
    
  19

If it's $250, the price has come down a bit since last time I knew. But IntelliJ is fairly intuitive to use, especially if you're already familiar with another IDE, and that may be why there's no videos on it. Plus, I think you can get a time-limited demo of it that can be unlocked for permanent use when you purchase a license key, so you can test-drive it for free.
Robert Heath
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 11, 2010
Posts: 94

Tim Holloway wrote:If it's $250, the price has come down a bit since last time I knew. But IntelliJ is fairly intuitive to use, especially if you're already familiar with another IDE, and that may be why there's no videos on it. Plus, I think you can get a time-limited demo of it that can be unlocked for permanent use when you purchase a license key, so you can test-drive it for free.


I just said that it was not the $250. I just downloaded the trial version yesterday, and at first glance, it is not intuitive. I have used Eclipse, and other Eclipse based IDEs, and NetBeans, but IntelliJ seems to be an entirely different interface.

I am willing to give it a try, if I can get somewhat of a demo, more than a "poke and hope" interface that requires a learning curve of several weeks.
 
wood burning stoves
 
subject: Does anyone know much about IntelliJ?
 
Similar Threads
Spring / Tiles 2 example
utitility to find code metrics? (lines of code, etc)
Tomcat with IntelliJ IDEA 4.5
Calling C#.NET Web Service From Java Applet
tutorial for intelliJ IDEA