wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes Other Languages and the fly likes My one cent about Seven Languages in Seven Weeks Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Murach's Java Servlets and JSP this week in the Servlets forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Languages » Other Languages
Bookmark "My one cent about Seven Languages in Seven Weeks" Watch "My one cent about Seven Languages in Seven Weeks" New topic
Author

My one cent about Seven Languages in Seven Weeks

Christophe Verré
Sheriff

Joined: Nov 24, 2005
Posts: 14687
    
  16

It's not a question, just a feeling I'll probably never get in touch with the languages in this book (but who knows). I never grew any interest on them, maybe because I don't even know what they're all about, or maybe because their names all sound like foreign brand washing machine powder. But I'm open to almost anything in programming.

It seems to be a great guide to understand the "why" being each language, and their pros and cons. At least I like what I've read from the publisher's page, and the book cover is awesome


[My Blog]
All roads lead to JavaRanch
Bruce Tate
Author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 04, 2002
Posts: 71
I liked the cover too.

The book is about learning a language for the sake of learning it. Learning languages makes you a better programmer. Give it a try!


First rule of Kayak: When in doubt, paddle like Hell
Mohamed Sanaulla
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Sep 08, 2007
Posts: 3064
    
  33

And its fun learning a language And more interesting is how it overcomes the disadvantages of a current language (and adds its own set of disadvantages ). But we do need to apply it somewhere so that the knowledge doesn't rust out. As Paul had suggested in another thread- picking personal projects is always a good idea to apply the language. And as always Pragmatic bookshelf has some really awesome books. So this shouldn't be much different either.



Mohamed Sanaulla | My Blog
Deepak Bala
Bartender

Joined: Feb 24, 2006
Posts: 6661
    
    5

Bruce Tate wrote:I liked the cover too.

The book is about learning a language for the sake of learning it. Learning languages makes you a better programmer. Give it a try!


Out of curiosity, does your book mention an esoteric programming language ? I introduced my coworkers to lolcode


SCJP 6 articles - SCJP 5/6 mock exams - More SCJP Mocks
Christophe Verré
Sheriff

Joined: Nov 24, 2005
Posts: 14687
    
  16

Deepak Bala wrote:Out of curiosity, does your book mention an esoteric programming language ? I introduced my coworkers to lolcode

Why not Brainfuck too ? I think there must be a minimum of practical use in the languages chosen
Deepak Bala
Bartender

Joined: Feb 24, 2006
Posts: 6661
    
    5

Christophe Verré wrote:
Deepak Bala wrote:Out of curiosity, does your book mention an esoteric programming language ? I introduced my coworkers to lolcode

Why not Brainfuck too ? I think there must be a minimum of practical use in the languages chosen


I agree. I was only alluding that it must have been easy to sneak in a funny reference to brainfcuk or lolcode.

Bruce, I will be sure to grab a copy of your book when time will allow. Thanks for taking the time to write it.
Bruce Tate
Author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 04, 2002
Posts: 71
Mohamed Sanaulla wrote:And its fun learning a language And more interesting is how it overcomes the disadvantages of a current language (and adds its own set of disadvantages ). But we do need to apply it somewhere so that the knowledge doesn't rust out. As Paul had suggested in another thread- picking personal projects is always a good idea to apply the language. And as always Pragmatic bookshelf has some really awesome books. So this shouldn't be much different either.




I wish I had something to add. Well said.
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 37953
    
  22
Mohamed Sanaulla wrote:. . . overcomes the disadvantages of a current language (and adds its own set of disadvantages ). . . .
And every language has its advantages and disadvantages. That is why it is a good idea to learn several; to know which to choose for a particular task. And learning an unfamiliar paradigm (eg functional) keeps the brain active.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: My one cent about Seven Languages in Seven Weeks
 
Similar Threads
Math: abc = 1536 and...
Seven Languages in Seven Weeks
Strengths and Weaknesses of various programming languages
Choice of languages
* Welcome Bruce Tate