wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes Other Languages and the fly likes Seven Languages in Seven Weeks - Seven Questions Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons this week in the Android forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Languages » Other Languages
Bookmark "Seven Languages in Seven Weeks - Seven Questions" Watch "Seven Languages in Seven Weeks - Seven Questions" New topic
Author

Seven Languages in Seven Weeks - Seven Questions

Raghavan Muthu
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 20, 2006
Posts: 3344

Hi Bruce,

First of all, it was a different book I had ever come across. Thanks and Congratulations for having written such a book!

I have few questions for you. Few of them may make you feel like too personal. If so, please ignore it

1. what made you write such a book?

2. I had been wondering how come seven such different languages (Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, and Haskell) had been composed in one book, when there are so many books for one single language.. I had read more than one book for a particular programming language. Would like you to share the challenges specifically you had faced while composing the compact structure of it? I am sure you would NOT have covered (or you dint want to) the entire features of the languages. I am interested and curious to know!

3. Overall, what was the idea behind choosing these 7 languages when there are enormous programming languages? Are there any common factors behind choosing these languages?

4. Have you demonstrated any application/project work at the end of the book? I know you would have covered good amount of examples for each aspect of every language.

5. Do you think really one week will suffice for each language? :P

6. Have you discussed about the integration of these languages with some of the few popular programming languages like C, Java etc.? I know not always there is a need to interact with other languages. However, if there is a need, what extent is it easy to plugin?

7. Are there any IDEs required for the other languages Scala, Io, Erlang, Clojure etc.,? Have you got a chance to describe any of them?

Thanks.

Eagerly waiting to hear from you.....


Everything has got its own deadline including one's EGO!
[CodeBarn] [Java Concepts-easily] [Corey's articles] [SCJP-SUN] [Servlet Examples] [Java Beginners FAQ] [Sun-Java Tutorials] [Java Coding Guidelines]
Bruce Tate
Author
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 04, 2002
Posts: 71
Raghavan Muthu wrote:Hi Bruce,

First of all, it was a different book I had ever come across. Thanks and Congratulations for having written such a book!

I have few questions for you. Few of them may make you feel like too personal. If so, please ignore it

1. what made you write such a book?


I like the idea of learning languages, and it's an important time for our industry. I can sense a paradigm change, and you can see it with the proliferation of new languages on the JVM, for example. New languages don't pop up by accident. They scratch an itch. Now, the itch is all about programmer productivity with concurrent access.
Raghavan Muthu wrote:
2. I had been wondering how come seven such different languages (Ruby, Io, Prolog, Scala, Erlang, Clojure, and Haskell) had been composed in one book, when there are so many books for one single language.. I had read more than one book for a particular programming language. Would like you to share the challenges specifically you had faced while composing the compact structure of it? I am sure you would NOT have covered (or you dint want to) the entire features of the languages. I am interested and curious to know!

It's not a definitive guide for any language. It's about improving myself as a programmer, and learning how to learn. It's a very important skill right now. You need to be able to dive in and get deep enough to understand what's interesting and important about a new language. If you can't do that, you're going to be left behind when paradigms eventually irrevocably change.
Raghavan Muthu wrote:
3. Overall, what was the idea behind choosing these 7 languages when there are enormous programming languages? Are there any common factors behind choosing these languages?

See the previous posts on the subject.

Raghavan Muthu wrote:
4. Have you demonstrated any application/project work at the end of the book? I know you would have covered good amount of examples for each aspect of every language.

Nope. The goal is to solve a nontrivial example for each language. There is not enough room to do much more.

Raghavan Muthu wrote:
5. Do you think really one week will suffice for each language? :P

Nope. But you can capture the essence of a language in a week of study.

Raghavan Muthu wrote:
6. Have you discussed about the integration of these languages with some of the few popular programming languages like C, Java etc.? I know not always there is a need to interact with other languages. However, if there is a need, what extent is it easy to plugin?


Not at all. I specifically avoided this problem. It's too complicated.


Raghavan Muthu wrote:
7. Are there any IDEs required for the other languages Scala, Io, Erlang, Clojure etc.,? Have you got a chance to describe any of them?

I specifically avoided this too. I wanted to deal in foundations.

Raghavan Muthu wrote:
Thanks.

Eagerly waiting to hear from you.....


You're making me work.


First rule of Kayak: When in doubt, paddle like Hell
Raghavan Muthu
Ranch Hand

Joined: Apr 20, 2006
Posts: 3344

Thank you very much Bruce! The answers were nice and few of them were matching my guesses/expectations!

It was one of the few best interactions I had with the authors!

Thanks to Ranch for having provided such a platform!
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Seven Languages in Seven Weeks - Seven Questions
 
Similar Threads
General Erlang questions to book authors
Seven Languages in Seven Weeks
Did you learn the languages for this book?
Choice of languages
Why learn Clojure