I am planning to appear for SCEA part 1 exam .Can anyone let me know what is the approximate time to prepare for this exam.Will one month be sufficient?Also I would like to the suitable books/guides for preparation.Can i register for the exam in the prometric site(http://www.register.prometric.com/Exam.asp).In the site there are two exams available 310-052(Oracle Certified Enterprise Architect for J2EE5)and 310-053(Oracle Certified Architect for Java EE5 Upgrade) .Kindly let me know for which exam ,i need to register.
This really depends on the individual and the time that he or she could devote for this. For me it took about 5 - 6 month preparation for the part 1. I have prepared my own short notes based on each and every exam topic. Also I visited any recommended blogs , used any recommended short notes in this forum. For mock exams I did not use any of the free ones but oracle provided one only. Every day I at least studied 1-2 hours while travelling to my office back and forth. That is my experience and for you it could be different. And also I have 5+ years experience in J2EE related technologies. So it would be better if you access yourself with the time that your are going to spend on it , the number of years experience you have etc..
Books used ,
1. Mark Cade and Humphrey Sheil - Sun Certified Enterprise Architect
for Java™ EE Study Guide , 2nd Edition
2. JEE 5 Tutorial
3. Core JEE patterns -Deepak Alur , John Crupi , Dan Marlks
4. Elements of Reusable components - Creative Commons web site and GOF book
5. EJB 3 In action (DEBU PANDA , REZA RAHMAN, DEREK LANE) , Pro EJB 3 Java Persistence API (Mike Keith , Merrick Schincariol)
6. Various other notes on JRMP , IIOP , RMI , CORBA , HTTP , HTTPS etc
7. Various other notes on Load balancing , Fail over etc
8. Wikipedia was also among those that I used heavily
You may not need all above, but reading those would make you very confident about the exam
I assume this is your first time that you are attempting this exam , then you must select "310-052(Oracle Certified Enterprise Architect for J2EE5)" , the other one is for people who already completed an old version of exam and willing to upgrade to the new version