Win a copy of Think Java: How to Think Like a Computer Scientist this week in the Java in General forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

SVN with Eclipse

 
Anand Bhatt
Ranch Hand
Posts: 189
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I am using Eclipse3.5 installed SVN Plugin(Subeclipse) I have created a local repository . When I am trying to access that repository from Eclipse after giving the new URL()file:///D:/MySVNRepository) eclipsedisappeared suddenly.
Any one faced this issue ? Please suggest
 
Hauke Ingmar Schmidt
Rancher
Posts: 436
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The name of the plugin is Subclipse.

I am working with local repositories and don't have any problems. I assume you tested different repos to rule out a defect there (even if Eclipse should react different then...). And it certainly works with remote repositories?

You could try to use a different SVN implementation. There is a pure Java implementation, JavaHL. You can change the implementation in the SVN preferences; please see the Subclipse page for installation hints. Check for the right version! It should match the version of the Subversion tool that created the repo (Tortoise, I assume?).

Or try Subversive.

Why are you using an old Eclipse version (3.5)?
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 34396
346
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I used both Eclipse plugins in both Eclipse 3.5 and 3.6. I used an http:// URL rather than a file:// one though.

One place to look is in <your workspace>/.metadata/.log to see if there is anything relevant as to why Eclipse is crashing.
 
Anand Bhatt
Ranch Hand
Posts: 189
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks both for quick reply. Jeanne I will check the log and get back to this.
 
Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
Pie
Posts: 18152
52
Android Eclipse IDE Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I don't know what the repository access mechanism is for Subclipse. The "file:" protocol isn't available just any old way. In fact, there's an Apache project specifically designed to get around that issue.

In short, you have have to use an HTTP(S) server as your repository. Not only that, but it would have to support WebDAV.
 
Hauke Ingmar Schmidt
Rancher
Posts: 436
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Tim Holloway wrote:I don't know what the repository access mechanism is for Subclipse. The "file:" protocol isn't available just any old way. In fact, there's an Apache project specifically designed to get around that issue.

In short, you have have to use an HTTP(S) server as your repository. Not only that, but it would have to support WebDAV.


I am not sure I understand what you want to tell. The file url is a perfectly valid and working way to access local subversion repositories (see e.g. here). You should watch out for the usual gotchas (like Windows drive letters) but then it can be quite useful.

(Oh, and, blushing, I have to admit Jeanne's approach of reading error messages before trying something completeley different might be a good idea.)
 
Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
Pie
Posts: 18152
52
Android Eclipse IDE Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hauke Ingmar Schmidt wrote:
Tim Holloway wrote:I don't know what the repository access mechanism is for Subclipse. The "file:" protocol isn't available just any old way. In fact, there's an Apache project specifically designed to get around that issue.

In short, you have have to use an HTTP(S) server as your repository. Not only that, but it would have to support WebDAV.


I am not sure I understand what you want to tell. The file url is a perfectly valid and working way to access local subversion repositories (see e.g. here). You should watch out for the usual gotchas (like Windows drive letters) but then it can be quite useful.

(Oh, and, blushing, I have to admit Jeanne's approach of reading error messages before trying something completeley different might be a good idea.)


What you can do from the command line and what you can do in a plugin aren't necessarily the same. The limitation on "file:" as a URL protocol depends on which Java data access mechanism is being used in the plugin, not on Subversion itself. All I was saying is that it may or may not work, and to know for certain, I'd have to do something tedious like RTFM.
 
Hauke Ingmar Schmidt
Rancher
Posts: 436
2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Tim Holloway wrote:What you can do from the command line and what you can do in a plugin aren't necessarily the same. The limitation on "file:" as a URL protocol depends on which Java data access mechanism is being used in the plugin, not on Subversion itself. All I was saying is that it may or may not work, and to know for certain, I'd have to do something tedious like RTFM.


That would mean that there are Subversion plugins that support only a subset of the functionality of Subversion. Would be a "blocker" ticket at once, for me. In fact, Subversion per se does not know about http(s) or Webdav, it has its own svnserve protocol. You can put it behind an Apache, and this is handy. But it is not a must.

Subclipse supports it on both Windows and Linux.
 
Anand Bhatt
Ranch Hand
Posts: 189
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Just check Eclipse error log at eclipse/hs_err_pid1292 and saw below error
Posting some snippet from log file:



#
# An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
# EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at =0x388c804c, pid=1292, tid=3872


 
Peter Johnson
author
Bartender
Posts: 5852
7
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The JVM is crashing. Try installing and using the latest JVM. It would have also helped if you provided more that the few lines you did - the lines that follow usually help to pinpoint the shared library that caused the crash.
 
Anand Bhatt
Ranch Hand
Posts: 189
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I tried but forum doesn't except any kind abbrevtations , so I have delete that
I will try to post the exact error code if possbile
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 34396
346
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Anand Bhatt wrote:I tried but forum doesn't except any kind abbrevtations , so I have delete that
I will try to post the exact error code if possbile

Putting it in [ code] [ /code] tags will turn that off.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic