aspose file tools*
The moose likes Beginning Java and the fly likes Hour 17:Creating Interactive Web Programs - Java in 24 hours Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » Beginning Java
Bookmark "Hour 17:Creating Interactive Web Programs - Java in 24 hours " Watch "Hour 17:Creating Interactive Web Programs - Java in 24 hours " New topic
Author

Hour 17:Creating Interactive Web Programs - Java in 24 hours

Don Schwirtlich
Greenhorn

Joined: Jan 06, 2011
Posts: 26
I am running the SalutonApplet.html - that calls the app let - I get the You Need a java enabled browser to see this' message - I run IE 8, how do I make this Java enabled ?

Thanks in advance.
Steve Luke
Bartender

Joined: Jan 28, 2003
Posts: 4176
    
  21

Install a JRE, and check your menus to make sure Java is enabled. I don't know where it is in IE8, but somewhere there is a preferences menu that allows you to enable things like Java, Javascript, Flash, ActiveX, etc... You will need to find that menu item and make sure Java is enabled.


Steve
Don Schwirtlich
Greenhorn

Joined: Jan 06, 2011
Posts: 26
Steve Luke wrote:Install a JRE, and check your menus to make sure Java is enabled. I don't know where it is in IE8, but somewhere there is a preferences menu that allows you to enable things like Java, Javascript, Flash, ActiveX, etc... You will need to find that menu item and make sure Java is enabled.


Thanks Steve - I installed the JDK that included the JRE - but how do I test to be sure it is installed. For example (running w7), when I go to the control panel , the Java icon is 'empty. When I go to an internet site that is laden with java applets, it displays, slowly, but it displays. When I run my java programs (java myprogram) , they run.

Am going to look for that preference menu now. And many thanks.

After the applet runs, a white box appears with 'error' I click on that and probably 20 seconds later a box appears with what appears to be helpful information, and then it closes - ?
Steve Luke
Bartender

Joined: Jan 28, 2003
Posts: 4176
    
  21

I am not too familiar with IE, but you may need to install the JRE plugin for the web page independently of the JRE you download as part of the Java installation. The plugin is the bridge between the browser and JRE. My suggestion would be to visit www.java.com and do the install from inside IE - to make sure the plugin that installs is appropriate for your browser.
Don Schwirtlich
Greenhorn

Joined: Jan 06, 2011
Posts: 26
Steve Luke wrote:I am not too familiar with IE, but you may need to install the JRE plugin for the web page independently of the JRE you download as part of the Java installation. The plugin is the bridge between the browser and JRE. My suggestion would be to visit www.java.com and do the install from inside IE - to make sure the plugin that installs is appropriate for your browser.


Thanks, I will give it a try. What do you use for your browser?
Steve Luke
Bartender

Joined: Jan 28, 2003
Posts: 4176
    
  21

Don Schwirtlich wrote:
After the applet runs, a white box appears with 'error' I click on that and probably 20 seconds later a box appears with what appears to be helpful information, and then it closes - ?


Sorry - no clue. If IE8 has a Java Console, then see if the error shows up there. If not, then use a different browser which does have a Java Console (FireFox, Chrome) because it makes debugging these things much easier.
Steve Luke
Bartender

Joined: Jan 28, 2003
Posts: 4176
    
  21

Don Schwirtlich wrote:
Thanks, I will give it a try. What do you use for your browser?


I use a combination of Firefox, Chrome, sometimes Safari, and IE6 when I must (for work only, IT only supports IE6 'cause internal apps don't work on other browsers).
Don Schwirtlich
Greenhorn

Joined: Jan 06, 2011
Posts: 26
Steve Luke wrote:
Don Schwirtlich wrote:
Thanks, I will give it a try. What do you use for your browser?


I use a combination of Firefox, Chrome, sometimes Safari, and IE6 when I must (for work only, IT only supports IE6 'cause internal apps don't work on other browsers).




I have my path statement in my autoexec.bat file, but when I restart w7, i cant use my java or javac commands until i manually execute my autoexec.bat file. Any ideas why?
And there is a setting somewhere I am supposed to setup for Java to run properly - I remember it from when I started on this java direction - Im sure thats the reason for these issues - do you have any ideas ? Thanks.
Don Schwirtlich
Greenhorn

Joined: Jan 06, 2011
Posts: 26
Don Schwirtlich wrote:
Steve Luke wrote:
Don Schwirtlich wrote:
Thanks, I will give it a try. What do you use for your browser?


I use a combination of Firefox, Chrome, sometimes Safari, and IE6 when I must (for work only, IT only supports IE6 'cause internal apps don't work on other browsers).




I have my path statement in my autoexec.bat file, but when I restart w7, i cant use my java or javac commands until i manually execute my autoexec.bat file. Any ideas why?
And there is a setting somewhere I am supposed to setup for Java to run properly - I remember it from when I started on this java direction - Im sure thats the reason for these issues - do you have any ideas ? Thanks.


Where are settings for Java ?
mike ryan
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 08, 2010
Posts: 210

Hi Don,

In Vista you go to the control panel, then you will see an extra java button.Click that then click the far right hand tab and you will see "Standard Java for Browser" and then a check box for IE, see if that is checked or not.
Not sure if that is the problem or not but maybe it will help.

Mike
Don Schwirtlich
Greenhorn

Joined: Jan 06, 2011
Posts: 26
mike ryan wrote:Hi Don,

In Vista you go to the control panel, then you will see an extra java button.Click that then click the far right hand tab and you will see "Standard Java for Browser" and then a check box for IE, see if that is checked or not.
Not sure if that is the problem or not but maybe it will help.

Mike


Mike, here in W7, in the control panel, there is a icon for Java. However when I click it, I get "Application Not Found". ??
mike ryan
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 08, 2010
Posts: 210

Sounds like your environment settings are not correct or not set properly but i am no expert.Maybe Download Firefox and see if it works with that.
If not then you maybe need to check your JAVA_HOME and path settings in the environment settings.

Mike
Don Schwirtlich
Greenhorn

Joined: Jan 06, 2011
Posts: 26
mike ryan wrote:Sounds like your environment settings are not correct or not set properly but i am no expert.Maybe Download Firefox and see if it works with that.
If not then you maybe need to check your JAVA_HOME and path settings in the environment settings.

Mike


Mike, when I started with Java , i found a thread here on setting your system up. I followed it, and all was good until I encountered the infamous Error 1937 or 1793 or whatever it was. Now, I cant find that thread or documentation about setting these things up - for example, what is the JAVA_HOME settings supposed to be and where is a good place to find those docs. Thanks much.

Don
mike ryan
Ranch Hand

Joined: Aug 08, 2010
Posts: 210

Hi Don,

here ya go!
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Hour 17:Creating Interactive Web Programs - Java in 24 hours