• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

OSGi and embedded computing

 
Migue Carvajal
Greenhorn
Posts: 5
Android C++ Eclipse IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hi!

Despite its origins, aimed to embedded appliances, Java has got the most pervasive technology in the field of enterprise applications. With the advent of OSGi, it is possible for Java to gain presence in embedded platforms. Of course, OSGi enforces modularity and so it allows to fit in platforms with less resources, by removing the less needed modules.

What features/advantages of OSGi, other than modularity enforcement, do you think can help in development of embedded apps?

Thank you in advance,

 
Richard S. Hall
author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 47
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Migue Carvajal wrote:
What features/advantages of OSGi, other than modularity enforcement, do you think can help in development of embedded apps?


I would have to say its support for dynamism at both the lifecycle and service layers. Embedded apps often to have to deal with higher levels of environmental dynamism (e.g., a mobile phone or tablet being carried around or a home automation system with devices coming and going). OSGi gives you a foundation for modeling and dealing with such dynamism.
 
Migue Carvajal
Greenhorn
Posts: 5
Android C++ Eclipse IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Richard S. Hall wrote:
I would have to say its support for dynamism at both the lifecycle and service layers. Embedded apps often to have to deal with higher levels of environmental dynamism (e.g., a mobile phone or tablet being carried around or a home automation system with devices coming and going). OSGi gives you a foundation for modeling and dealing with such dynamism.


Hi,
Regarding to mobile phones and tablets, do you think Android is adequate to deploy OSGi over it? Is it possible to run OSGi in J2ME platform?
Thanks in advance,
 
Richard S. Hall
author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 47
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Migue Carvajal wrote:
Regarding to mobile phones and tablets, do you think Android is adequate to deploy OSGi over it? Is it possible to run OSGi in J2ME platform?
Thanks in advance,


Yes, see: http://www.ezdroid.com/

OSGi will also run on Foundation Profile.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic