I must be on an Asian kick. This weekend I dusted off my Beef with Broccoli recipe.
Beef with Broccoli
1 lb flank or skirt steak
3 T soy sauce
1 T white wine (or dry vermouth, or sherry)
2 T chicken broth (low sodium or home-made)
5 T oyster sauce
1 T light brown sugar
1 t sesame oil
1 t corn starch
1 T minced or grated fresh ginger root
2 bunches broccoli
1 small to medium red bell pepper
3 medium scallions
1/3 c water
1. Slice the beef across the grain into thin slices (1/8 inch or so). If you have a blade tenderizer, apply it to the meat before slicing.
2. Combine the beef with the soy sauce in a zip-lock bag. Squeeze out all the air and let marinate for one hour.
3. While the beef is marinating, prep all other ingredients. Start by combining the wine, broth, oyster sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil and corn starch in a measuring cup and whisk well until combined.
4. Chop the broccoli florets into bite-sized pieces. Don't throw away the stems! Take the top two or three inches of stem and chop into julienne or thin disks. Set broccoli aside. Seed and core the bell pepper, and chop into julienne. Put aside. Chop the white part of the scallions into thin disks, and combine with the bell pepper. Chop the green parts of the scallions into 1/4-inch lengths and set aside
5. When the beef is done marinating, heat a tablespoon or so of vegetable oil in non-stick skillet until just smoking. Cook the beef in batches (never crowd a pan!) until all beef is cooked and browned on the outside. Keep warm in a low oven.
6. Wipe the pan out if necessary, and place another tablespoon of oil into the pan. When heated, toss in the broccoli and saute for about two minutes. Pour in the 1/3 c of water, cover pan, and let the broccoli steam for 2 minutes. Remove the broccoli from the pan and set aside.
7. Place the bell pepper and white portions of the scallions in the pan. Stir fry for about 2 minutes.
8. Make an opening in the middle of the pan and toss in the minced ginger. Cook for about 30 seconds then mix it in with the peppers and scallions.
9. Return the broccoli and the beef to the pan. Pour in the sauce mixture. Stir well until all ingredients are coated with the sauce.
10. Toss in the green parts of the scallions and remove from the heat.