To make a long story short, I have already designed an applet which functions correctly, but the people I designed it for asked if I could export the data from ti to a Microsoft excel document.
After Googling this, I found first Apache POI, Appache's library for this task, but I also found many other libraries which could accomplish the task.
Does anyone have any experience with these libraries? The most important thing for me now is to use the most efficient one (from the code writer's perspective). I don't want to get the program 90% done and then find out that it could have been done in 15 minutes if I had used a different API.
The only requirements is that it must be able to handle either the 97-2003 Microsoft excel format (.xls) or the new format (.xlsx) and it must be open source.
I use Apache POI nearly everyday at work in both xls and xlsx formats.
If you have any glaring issues or question then let me know. The only limitations I've experiance with Apache POI is creating charts from scratch is not possible. Unless you import the data to an already existing spreadsheet with the chart already built and reference to a cell range.