Hi, I joined javaranch today because I freed from the tag of PHP developer and I am on the path of becoming Java developer.
I want to know from fellow java-ranchians that have I taken correct decision to leave PHP and enter JAVA field?
Here is a short story of my career:
1. Wanted to become Java developer, so joined a startup of my seniors of my college.
2. Started working in Java for 1 month, but a big PHP project came up and I was put into it. (Java stopped).
4. Spent my entire brain energy on learning and executing, managing projects.
5. What I got paid? GroundNuts. (i mean very low)
6. Tried switching to other PHP companies they denied salary above 5 lakhs p.a.
7. Learned that PHP companies are so small-scale companie that neither they get million-dollar projects, nor they can pay high salary.
8. I got mad that I wasted my 3 years of precious lifetime burning my braincells for low-paid technology.
9. And guys having lesser knowledge, lesser qualification earning 8-10 lakhs per annum just in 2 years, simply by working in JAVA technologies.
10. So I decided to leave PHP and switch to JAVA (What is the use of making a career in PHP if it cant give me money?)
Currently I am learning Oracle + Java + J2EE + EJB from a reputed training institute NIIT and I plan to get certifications on SCJP, SCWCD and SCBCD and then enter into a new job.
Because no company will entertain an ex-PHP developer to work as a fresher JAVA developer without any strong knowledge. I am certifying myself to prove that I indeed have knowledge.
Welcome to the ranch ! You have a lot of qualifications which i believe , will work to your advantage.
I am intrigued by your experience.
You are suggesting that PHP and MySQL are not used much in the industry. What makes you think so ?
Abhishekkumar Iitk wrote:
And guys having lesser knowledge, lesser qualification earning 8-10 lakhs per annum just in 2 years, simply by working in JAVA technologies.
What do you mean by lesser qualification ? Lesser than what ? Are they people with , say just an SCJP and maybe a SCWCD etc. ?
good luck for your future.
Abhishekkumar Iitk wrote:
Currently I am learning Oracle + Java + J2EE + EJB from a reputed training institute NIIT and ...
Just out of curiosity, how many days ago did you start your course at NIIT.
The 'first' job is the hardest to get. It is obviously because employers want proven skills (experience).
Although i am not a fan of coaching classes, i suggest that you can join a coaching class as an instructor while you prepare for these exams. A person with your skills and experience would be a valuable asset to any coaching class (besides being a relief for students who are frustrated by the "poor" quality of teachers in classes ).
Alternatively, you may consider working as a freelancer on the internet - there are websites for that (google it). If I was as qualified as you, i would be doing that while switching over to java.