This week's giveaway is in the Android forum.
We're giving away four copies of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons and have Godfrey Nolan on-line!
See this thread for details.
The moose likes Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP) and the fly likes Thread - Niko'Blog Question-58 Confusion Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login

Win a copy of Android Security Essentials Live Lessons this week in the Android forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Programmer Certification (SCJP/OCPJP)
Bookmark "Thread - Niko Watch "Thread - Niko New topic
Author

Thread - Niko'Blog Question-58 Confusion

Arhaan Singhania
Ranch Hand

Hello,

This is a sample question from Niko's blog.

The question asked from this sample is

Just before the main method exits, the account’s number field is guaranteed to have value 2000.

true
false

It says the value is false. When i change the code in main method like this

It prints out the value 2000. Here is what i understood the flow of the program

1- There are three threads, namely main, one and two.
2- Thread one and two both are acting on the same account object which means, any change in account object made by
thread is visible in account copy of the other thread.
3- In main method, we have made sure, main thread starts when thread one and thread two ends, it means it will only
print the print out statement once both of threads have finished. Both of the threads will also run the counter 1000 times.
Then why in case one, it doesn't guarantee the value 2000, but once i changed the code in main method, it makes sure.

I know i am sounding a bit weak here but please any help will be highly regarded.
Arhaan
Jack Tol
Greenhorn

When the code says:

Thread one and two will be runnable at the same time, while the Main thread blocks on thread one and thread two. This can cause the condition where both threads reach at the exact same time (racing condition). In this case, the account number will not be incremented by two (since two threads run), but by one. Since they both retrieve the exact same value and both use this exact same value to increment the account number by 1.

However, when you change the code to:

The main thread will block on one.join() until thread one is finished running, after which it starts the second thread, and blocks again. In this case, thread one and two won't be runnable at the same time. Preventing the racing condition with Hence the account number will be guaranteed to be incremented by one during each loop iteration in each thread.

Edit:
Even though getNumber() and setNumber(Integer) are synchronized, the synchronization only applies to what is within the methods. The statement: consists of two separately executed statements: and
Arhaan Singhania
Ranch Hand

Hello Jack,

Welcome to Java-ranch. Thanks man. It was a great explanation. It really helped me clear the concept.
Thanks again for a great explanation

Arhaan
Arhaan Singhania
Ranch Hand

Hello Jack,

Here is sample Q-59 from Niko's Blog. Here is the sample code. The code is same except now it is not
getting anything, simply incrementing the value of integer by 1 and as the method is synchronized, it can
only be called by one thread at a time. So it means that this time order of joining threads doesn't matter
because one thread will block the other for sure.

Is my assumption correct?

Thanks,
Arhaan
Jack Tol
Greenhorn

Hi Arhaan, thank you!

Seeing as both threads are operating on the same account object, you are indeed right. In this case the order does not matter.
Arhaan Singhania
Ranch Hand

Hello,

Thanks Jack for the prompt response. Are you preparing for OCP JP?

Arhaan

It is sorta covered in the JavaRanch Style Guide.

subject: Thread - Niko'Blog Question-58 Confusion