wood burning stoves*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes How the Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "How the "more experienced, more mature, smarter"  (aka Watch "How the "more experienced, more mature, smarter"  (aka New topic
Author

How the "more experienced, more mature, smarter" (aka 'old') stay as healthy as possible

Jesus Angeles
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Posts: 2057
Hi,

How do you guys (considerably 'adult' already, e.g. >40 years old, or you may call 'like a finer wine'), try to stay healthy?

I am thinking that a possible ultimate strategy is: swimming + trampoline + stationary bike.

No considerable impact at all, is created, if any.

In between java, software, and android, what do you do to exercise?
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 14164
    
  19

Jesus Angeles wrote:No considerable impact at all, is created, if any.

What do you mean, that swimming + trampoline + stationary bike doesn't really help?

In my experience even a little exercise is much better than no exercise at all. I have a fitness club at 5 minutes walking distance from my home, every Saturday morning I go there for at least an hour of training. Most of the time I do body pump, which is a group lesson in which you train all your muscles (legs, breast, arms, back, shoulders, abs). I feel it's really necessary for me to do this because I'm sitting behind a desk almost the whole day every day. Exercise, even a little, doesn't only make you feel physically more fit, but also mentally.

I'm going to be 40 in a few months...


Java Beginners FAQ - JavaRanch SCJP FAQ - The Java Tutorial - Java SE 7 API documentation
Scala Notes - My blog about Scala
Jesus Angeles
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Posts: 2057
Jesper de Jong wrote:
Jesus Angeles wrote:No considerable impact at all, is created, if any.

What do you mean, that swimming + trampoline + stationary bike doesn't really help?

In my experience even a little exercise is much better than no exercise at all. I have a fitness club at 5 minutes walking distance from my home, every Saturday morning I go there for at least an hour of training. Most of the time I do body pump, which is a group lesson in which you train all your muscles (legs, breast, arms, back, shoulders, abs). I feel it's really necessary for me to do this because I'm sitting behind a desk almost the whole day every day. Exercise, even a little, doesn't only make you feel physically more fit, but also mentally.

I'm going to be 40 in a few months...


I'm also turning 40 in a few months.

What I mean by 'no impact', is that 'impact' is bad, for oldies. Those 3 are good because they do a lot, without posing any harm to our joints, etc.

I agree that exercise helps. I ran 25km last weekend, and since yesterday, I didnt need any coffee to stay awake and productive at work (software developer too). It hurted a lot on the leg muscles and toes, and the only reason I would do it again, is just for the 'feeling of accomplishment', not for health.
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jul 26, 2007
Posts: 10410
    
    8

I always ensure, at a minimum, I do Surya Namaskars daily. That is a must for me.

Otherwise my full schedule includes
Surya Namaskars
Very brisk walk for almost 30 minutes up and down a hill
Workout at home (Gyms are not for me)

Edit: I am 40+


[How to ask questions] [Donate a pint, save a life!] [Onff-turn it on!]
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 14164
    
  19

Jesus Angeles wrote:What I mean by 'no impact', is that 'impact' is bad, for oldies. Those 3 are good because they do a lot, without posing any harm to our joints, etc.

Oh, that's what you mean by 'impact', the word can have different meanings... Indeed, running has a big impact on your joints, especially your knees.
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 61241
    
  66

I walk 2 miles daily. I'll be 54 in October.


[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
Arun Kumarr
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 16, 2005
Posts: 513

Maneesh Godbole wrote:I always ensure, at a minimum, I do Surya Namaskars daily. That is a must for me.


I had cervical disc prolapse and no matter what I did I used to have this nerve racking neck pain.
Guess what, Surya Namaskar did the trick. I'm relived now. I don't miss doing it everyday morning.


If you are not laughing at yourself, then you just didn't get the joke.
Saurabh Pillai
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 12, 2008
Posts: 507
Jesper de Jong wrote:Indeed, running has a big impact on your joints, especially your knees.


You did not mean -ve impact, did you? Because if you have healthy food everyday, running should not have adverse effect on your joints. Any exercise done improperly has adverse effect.
Jan de Boer
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 10, 2010
Posts: 378
    
    1
Ah well first, I do not do anything with computers in my free time. This way I have less chance getting RSI, pain in shoulder-, arm- and neck muscles for being in the same 'behind the computer' position all the time.

Second I bike to the train station. (45 minutes one way, one and a half hour in total, daily, saves money too.)

Third, I do sports 3 times a week, two times jogging, one time fitness.

Last, and the most difficult part, I never ever eat nor sugar nor reheated grease (no fries, no hamburgers, no fast food).

Ah, to add, I am 46.
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 14164
    
  19

Saurabh, I don't run myself, so I actually don't know much about it. But I've heard often from other people that running is hard on your joints, everytime your feet hit the ground your knees and ankles get a shock.
Jan de Boer
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 10, 2010
Posts: 378
    
    1
Jesper de Jong wrote:Saurabh, I don't run myself, so I actually don't know much about it. But I've heard often from other people that running is hard on your joints, everytime your feet hit the ground your knees and ankles get a shock.


Jesper you are right! It is a fairytale that sport is good for your health and gives you more energy. I do sports to keep being attractive to the other side, not for my health. Sometimes, I am that tired from exercise, my work pace suffers from it. Nothing will give you more energy then just put unlimited amounts of sugar in your mouth. Only the plus on energy you don't use gets stowed up in your belly.
Saurabh Pillai
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 12, 2008
Posts: 507
I think we have a marathon runner (and sheriff) on JR.
Jesus Angeles
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Posts: 2057
Jan de Boer wrote:Ah well first, I do not do anything with computers in my free time. This way I have less chance getting RSI, pain in shoulder-, arm- and neck muscles for being in the same 'behind the computer' position all the time.

Second I bike to the train station. (45 minutes one way, one and a half hour in total, daily, saves money too.)

Third, I do sports 3 times a week, two times jogging, one time fitness.

Last, and the most difficult part, I never ever eat nor sugar nor reheated grease (no fries, no hamburgers, no fast food).

Ah, to add, I am 46.


Good for you.

2 weeks ago, I decided to do: trampoline+stationary bike+swimming.

I had all the time to do. But the same story went. I was lazy.

So I signed up for another half-marathon, just to force myself to go.

I think, for some reason, if I enrolled or something, it kicks my ass to stand up and attend.

I am thinking of enrolling to a taekwondo class, again, just so that I am forced to do it.

If I leave myself to: do it, yourself, do 'trampoline+stationary bike+swimming', I think Ill grow plants on me, before I lift a finger.
Jan de Boer
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 10, 2010
Posts: 378
    
    1
Ah, if you are looking for force, I'd advice to go to work on your bicycle. If that is possible, for the distance, and if you have showers at the office. You cannot decide half way to stop. Your boss is waiting for you. Or if you go home, your wife.
Jesus Angeles
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 26, 2005
Posts: 2057
I didnt find a route.

Anyway, how are you guys holding up?
Sumit Bisht
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 02, 2008
Posts: 329

I am into cycling, yoga and morning walk (alternatively)
and, I'll be turning 40 in just 315 more months
Joe Ess
Bartender

Joined: Oct 29, 2001
Posts: 8912
    
    8

Jesper de Jong wrote:Saurabh, I don't run myself, so I actually don't know much about it. But I've heard often from other people that running is hard on your joints, everytime your feet hit the ground your knees and ankles get a shock.


I'm a casual runner (5k a few times a week) and I'll maintain that most of the problems people have with running is because they don't stretch. Tight muscles will pull the knee joint and the cartilage that cushions it out of alignment, resulting in pain. A tight Achilles tendon will result in foot pain (ask me how I know!).
Stretching becomes even more important as one gets older since you aren't as flexible and spend your days sitting at a desk.


"blabbing like a narcissistic fool with a superiority complex" ~ N.A.
[How To Ask Questions On JavaRanch]
 
wood burning stoves
 
subject: How the "more experienced, more mature, smarter" (aka 'old') stay as healthy as possible