This week's book giveaway is in the Mac OS forum. We're giving away four copies of a choice of "Take Control of Upgrading to Yosemite" or "Take Control of Automating Your Mac" and have Joe Kissell on-line! See this thread for details.
because of the recent news (mandatory courses from beginning of August), I tried to package my application. I have one problem and one question - please advise:
(1) In my instructions, it says that in the runme.jar I must create a directory called docs with "these instructions" at the top level. Now, at the time I purchased my certificate, i was directed to some strange screen, showing the instructions. I printed the instructions at the time, but I dont have a word or text file....The only thing I could download was a 111.zip folder, which contained the data file db-1x1.db.
==> what did you do? Can I just type the instructions in a text file?? If not, does anyone of you still have the instructions file???
(2) The question: When can I register for the exam??...Can I do this now (without having submitted my URLY-bird jar?) I quickly skimmed through another post and read something of a 2 months waiting time??...If possible, I would like to register as soon as possible and then submit the jar...so i am safe to finish everything before August...
(1) In the Sun(ny) days you downloaded a jar containing your database file and the instructions as an html file. Nowadays everybody is expected to save the web page (which you printed) as an html file and include into the submission jar. So just typing the instructions in a text file (or using a scanner which supports OCR) will do the job. Using someone else's instructions file may be dangerous because he might have slightly different instructions.
(2) you can already schedule your essay exam and if you are already in the packaging phase of your assignment you can take it tomorrow and send the assignment by e-mail this weekend.
(to 1) that's a big relief, but I wonder how Oracle can verify if I forged the instructions if I can type them....has anybody passed the exam with handing in a self-typed instruction file? I am really afraid they are running some kind of automated checks (maybe they have somewhere a magic cookie)...
(to 2) ...so, I understand this as YES - registering for the exam and sending the jar after the registration is allowed...
(1) You can also send an email to email@example.com and ask what you have to do, because you don't have saved an electronic version of the instructions.
(2) Yes, that should not be a problem, because they'll match both parts based on your prometric id. You could also take the essay exam directly after downloading the assignment, but that could be quiet hard But if you are satisfied with your assigment and don't plan any big changes anymore, you can already take the essay exam. I even believe that's now the preferred way of submitting (so first take essay exam and then submit assignment)
I saved my web page containing the instructions in pdf format as the web page was complicated (it contained buttons and boxes etc).
Does anyone know if providing the instructions in pdf format will lead to an automatic fail? I will email Oracle but I am not sure I will get a reply.
BTW the pre-instructions were merely to "print the project", not to retain the instructions in a specific electronic format. The instructions themselves require that they are included in the submission jar but do not specify a filename or format.