Win a copy of The Java Performance Companion this week in the Performance forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Overwhelmed by the buzz words

 
Rahul Sudip Bose
Ranch Hand
Posts: 637
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
There are so many words like struts, hibernate , spring , olap , soap , jasper , log4j blah blah blah... I am drowning in this sea of words. This article helped a little , but i still have doubts. Should i wait and these things will come gradually ?
Is there any article that tells me how these things are connected and what they do ?
I am looking for a chart where they give a brief plain english intro of all such words, their role/need and when they are to be learned ?



 
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 15359
39
Android IntelliJ IDE Java Scala Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Don't expect that someday you will know in detail what all those things are (plus the hundreds of other frameworks, libraries etc. that are out there). Even people with more than 10 years Java experience don't know all of these things in detail - there is simply too much to know, and if you'd study all of those things it would take you so much time that by the time you're finished, everything has changed again and you'd have a whole list of new frameworks and libraries to learn...

It's good to have a general idea of what all those things are and what they are useful for, but you don't need to know everything in detail.
 
Rahul Sudip Bose
Ranch Hand
Posts: 637
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jesper de Jong wrote:
It's good to have a general idea of what all those things are and what they are useful for, but you don't need to know everything in detail.


I am looking for an article or book which does just that. Something like this - giving a brief idea of each body part and its basic role and how it is related to the other parts.
 
Mark Spritzler
ranger
Sheriff
Posts: 17278
6
IntelliJ IDE Mac Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Rahul Sudip Bose wrote:
Jesper de Jong wrote:
It's good to have a general idea of what all those things are and what they are useful for, but you don't need to know everything in detail.


I am looking for an article or book which does just that. Something like this - giving a brief idea of each body part and its basic role and how it is related to the other parts.


No such thing.

Yes, as time goes by you learn what different names mean. It actually isn't that hard, and is even very common in the real world. How many different breakfast cereals are out there, and how many of them do you know. I bet quite a few.

Mark
 
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 64967
86
IntelliJ IDE Java jQuery Mac Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Look up each term in Wikipedia.
 
Pat Farrell
Rancher
Posts: 4678
7
Linux Mac OS X VI Editor
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Buzzwords are how people in the know can easily identify outsiders. Every field has its own buzzwords. Look at the jargon that medical folks use.

Any sentence that has more than three buzzwords is meaningless. Any paragraph with more than five buzzwords is a deliberate attempt at obfuscation.
 
Deepak Bala
Bartender
Posts: 6663
5
Firefox Browser Linux MyEclipse IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Pat Farrell wrote:Buzzwords are how people in the know can easily identify outsiders. Every field has its own buzzwords. Look at the jargon that medical folks use.

Any sentence that has more than three buzzwords is meaningless. Any paragraph with more than five buzzwords is a deliberate attempt at obfuscation.


Using a modified lexer based on a StaX parser, I built an AST on a SOA based Jax-RS web service (compliant with WS-1) to decipher the meaning of your sentence with natural language expressions and logged the output to sl4j.

Do I get the job ?
 
Jaikiran Pai
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 10447
227
IntelliJ IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Deepak Bala wrote:Using a modified lexer based on a StaX parser, I built an AST on a SOA based Jax-RS web service (compliant with WS-1) to decipher the meaning of your sentence with natural language expressions and logged the output to sl4j.

Do I get the job ?


But it's not web scale
 
Shanky Sohar
Ranch Hand
Posts: 1051
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
First have a general idea and then try to implement....

No need to learn all the things
 
Bert Bates
author
Sheriff
Posts: 8898
5
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I like finding good surveys. Typically a good survey focuses on one aspect of technology. Here's an example of a survey-like article aimed at being a primer for the world of "big data".

http://assets.en.oreilly.com/1/event/55/strata2011_what-is-data-science_pdf.pdf
 
Greg Charles
Sheriff
Posts: 2985
12
Firefox Browser IntelliJ IDE Java Mac Ruby
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I sometimes wonder if software developers (collectively) would need to be so intelligent if we (collectively) were better at documenting the new frameworks we dream up. Unfortunately, it's rare to find people with both strong technical skills and strong communication skills. You've already seen a couple posting to this thread though.
 
Naren Chivukula
Ranch Hand
Posts: 577
Java Notepad Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Open each individual site and see brief introduction to the framework.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic