wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes Architect Certification (SCEA/OCMJEA) and the fly likes Factory Home Domain Model Clarification Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Architect Certification (SCEA/OCMJEA)
Bookmark "Factory Home Domain Model Clarification" Watch "Factory Home Domain Model Clarification" New topic
Author

Factory Home Domain Model Clarification

Dannyf Soon
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 07, 2008
Posts: 37
Dear Ranchers,

Currently I'm working on the Factory Home assignment.

I think Component is Product too, like the house object. I made this conclusion based the UC-1 description as below:

" (after customer selects a specific component), System responds with the product detail and availability / applicability of the product, based on the current house design."

Here the word "product" appeared twice. Does it implay that the component is a product too? Agree?

The confusing domain module really gave me headache for a week. I'll appreciate any comments.

Looking forward to your response.

-Danny


SCEA 5/OCMJEA
Pratik Bhavsar
Greenhorn

Joined: Feb 04, 2009
Posts: 20
You are right. The wording of the usecase-1 can be confusing. I don't think product mention in uc-1 is the 'Product' from domain model. I think they are using the words product and component interchangeably to mean wall, foundation, roof, door, window in the domain model.
Dannyf Soon
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 07, 2008
Posts: 37
Pratik Bhavsar wrote:You are right. The wording of the usecase-1 can be confusing. I don't think product mention in uc-1 is the 'Product' from domain model. I think they are using the words product and component interchangeably to mean wall, foundation, roof, door, window in the domain model.


Thanks for you response! You're correct.
Michael Zöller
Greenhorn

Joined: Nov 24, 2009
Posts: 16
Dannyf Soon wrote:Dear Ranchers,

Currently I'm working on the Factory Home assignment.

I think Component is Product too, like the house object. I made this conclusion based the UC-1 description as below:

" (after customer selects a specific component), System responds with the product detail and availability / applicability of the product, based on the current house design."

Here the word "product" appeared twice. Does it implay that the component is a product too? Agree?

The confusing domain module really gave me headache for a week. I'll appreciate any comments.

Looking forward to your response.

-Danny


I'm working on it, too. And I think not only the UC-1 is confusing concerning the wording. I changed the domain model to meet my understanding and hope that's okay with the correctors. With the given domain model I could not work.


SCJP 6.0, SCJD, SCWCD, OCPJBCD, OCMJEA
Luay Abdulraheem
Ranch Hand

Joined: May 18, 2011
Posts: 65
well, I simply considered the Product to be an Uncompleted Design Object.


SCJP, SCWCD, OCMJEA, OCEEJBD, OCEJPAD, TOGAF® 9 Certified, OCEJWSD
Dannyf Soon
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 07, 2008
Posts: 37
Luay Abdulraheem wrote:well, I simply considered the Product to be an Uncompleted Design Object.


Thanks for your response Luay.
Dannyf Soon
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 07, 2008
Posts: 37
Michael Zöller wrote:

I'm working on it, too. And I think not only the UC-1 is confusing concerning the wording. I changed the domain model to meet my understanding and hope that's okay with the correctors. With the given domain model I could not work.


Thanks for your response Michael.

Please see the thread regarding changing domain model where Jeanne suggested 'Personally, I would recommend against changing something that fundamental to the business.'

-Danny
Michael Zöller
Greenhorn

Joined: Nov 24, 2009
Posts: 16
Dannyf Soon wrote:
Michael Zöller wrote:

I'm working on it, too. And I think not only the UC-1 is confusing concerning the wording. I changed the domain model to meet my understanding and hope that's okay with the correctors. With the given domain model I could not work.


Thanks for your response Michael.

Please see the thread regarding changing domain model where Jeanne suggested 'Personally, I would recommend against changing something that fundamental to the business.'

-Danny

Thanks for the advice. But not changing the model means changing (at least the wording) of the use-cases. I don't think the given model captures the business FH does. On the other hand I'd like it better if I'd not have to change the model that much, so I'll think about it again.
serzeel khan
Greenhorn

Joined: Dec 25, 2011
Posts: 17
Luay Abdulraheem wrote:well, I simply considered the Product to be an Uncompleted Design Object.


i think, the product is the collection of components (floor,roof,wall,window doors) which is chosen by the customer during selecting the component from the categories.
USE CASE-1 is repeated several times for the selection of different components (floor,roof,wall,window doors) from different categories. and all comes in the product when selection of components is finished and thus remaining action is just to commit the selected components in the product to form a complete house design.


please comment


OCMJEA 5
 
jQuery in Action, 2nd edition
 
subject: Factory Home Domain Model Clarification
 
Similar Threads
Patterns: Abstract Factory Vs Factory Method
Factory Homes Assignment
EJB Home uses Abstract factory or Factory Method?
Factory Homes assignment - component vs product
Factory Homes Assignment