I live in a decent sized city in Kansas called Wichita. Population around 300,000. The closest Apple store is a 3 hour drive. So I'm stuck buying Apple products from various outlets in town including Best Buy. I bought my last MBP at BB last year. I also bought the "Black Tie" protection plan (Geek Squad: shudder) for lack of a better warranty option.
Over the last couple of weeks my MBP has been going in some pseudo sleep mode while I'm working. The screen goes black. All sound turns off but the keys are still backlit and I can hear the engine running. The only solution is to hold the power button until it turns off then turn it back on. When the system reboots it wants to send a log file to Apple. It is a Kernel Panic log file.
I started doing some research online and from what I can tell by learning to read the KP log file and the research is that it has something to do with my graphics card (NVIDEA GeForce). Unfortunately it isn't the card that Apple has agreed to fix for free. And since the graphics chips are soldered onto the logic board the entire board has to be replaced. Calling around out of curiosity sake, parts and labor I was looking at around $900. Thanks goodness for the warranty plan I purchased.
I drive across town to the one Best Buy out of the 4 we have in town that deals with Apple computers. I explained to the salesman what was going on and told him I had several options I was looking at. What I ended up doing was purchasing a new MBP and bringing both it and my old MBP home. As good as Time Machine is, I worry that as soon as I give them my old one I'll bring the new one home and I'll be missing something vital. This is my work computer. Best Buy generally has a 14 day return policy on computers. I spoke to a manager and they agreed to sign off on the new one as a loaner so that no matter how long they take to get my old one fixed and back to me, I can return this new one for a full refund.
So now I am in the process of letting Time Machine restore my data to the new MBP. I'll make sure everything is good to go and then tomorrow take my old one in for diag/repair. They will either fix this one (assuming they find something wrong with it) or basically total it out in which case they will just give me cash. If I do get the one back fixed (and it really is fixed) then I'll have to decide if I really want to return the new one or keep it and try and sale the old one. I'm afraid I'm going to enjoy the speed of the new quad and not want to give it back. But we'll see.
Long story short - Best Buy actually did the right thing here. Shocker!!