jQuery in Action, 3rd edition
The moose likes Android and the fly likes Problem Trying To Access URL Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Mobile » Android
Bookmark "Problem Trying To Access URL" Watch "Problem Trying To Access URL" New topic

Problem Trying To Access URL

Miko Diko

Joined: Jun 27, 2011
Posts: 5
I have a servlet running, working OK with my browser.
The servlet is based on GET requests only.

I created an Android project.
Added to AndroidManifest.xml this: <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />

Than I found on the net, this type of function:

private static String accessURL(String inputURL) throws IOException{
String inputLine = "";
try {
URL oracle = new URL(BASE_URL + inputURL);
URLConnection yc = oracle.openConnection();
InputStream iS = yc.getInputStream(); <------------------------------------ Exception here
InputStreamReader iSR = new InputStreamReader(iS);
BufferedReader in = new BufferedReader(iSR);
inputLine = in.readLine();
} catch (MalformedURLException e) {
} finally{
return inputLine;

Which works fine using regular Java project, but when I try to use it on my Android project, I get an exception ^ .

I'm trying to use a GET request in order to get a String returned to me.
Paul Clapham

Joined: Oct 14, 2005
Posts: 19728

Did you consider reading the exception to see what it said?
Miko Diko

Joined: Jun 27, 2011
Posts: 5
Paul Clapham wrote:Did you consider reading the exception to see what it said?

I googled and found out about LogCat..

I set LogCat up, and while the program was running in Debug, the log in LogCat didn't show anything unusual, but when I closed the Android Emulator window, it showed this :

[2011-07-26 21:18:33 - Logcat]device not found
com.android.ddmlib.AdbCommandRejectedException: device not found
at com.android.ddmlib.AdbHelper.setDevice(AdbHelper.java:736)
at com.android.ddmlib.AdbHelper.executeRemoteCommand(AdbHelper.java:373)
at com.android.ddmlib.Device.executeShellCommand(Device.java:284)
at com.android.ddmuilib.logcat.LogPanel$3.run(LogPanel.java:527)
I’ve looked at a lot of different solutions, and in my humble opinion Aspose is the way to go. Here’s the link: http://aspose.com
subject: Problem Trying To Access URL
It's not a secret anymore!