This week's book giveaway is in the OCMJEA forum.
We're giving away four copies of OCM Java EE 6 Enterprise Architect Exam Guide and have Paul Allen & Joseph Bambara on-line!
See this thread for details.
The moose likes Mac OS and the fly likes Java 1.6.0 Update 18 JDK for OSX? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of OCM Java EE 6 Enterprise Architect Exam Guide this week in the OCMJEA forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » Mac OS
Bookmark "Java 1.6.0 Update 18 JDK for OSX?" Watch "Java 1.6.0 Update 18 JDK for OSX?" New topic
Author

Java 1.6.0 Update 18 JDK for OSX?

Joe Chott
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 27, 2011
Posts: 5
Can someone tell me how to download and install Java 1.6.0 Update 18 JDK for OSX?

Thank you so much!
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 61106
    
  66

Why specifically 18? The latest is here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL142


[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
Joe Chott
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 27, 2011
Posts: 5
Bear Bibeault wrote:Why specifically 18? The latest is here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL142


I've got an application that worked before the June update of Java from Apple. Since then, the application hasn't worked.

I'd like to revert back to an older version to get things working again.
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 61106
    
  66

Hmm, doesn't sound like a good long-term strategy. Is this an application solely for your own use? If not, you will have no control over which version your customers/clients are using.

I'd spend my time finding out what the problem was.
Joe Chott
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 27, 2011
Posts: 5
Bear Bibeault wrote:Hmm, doesn't sound like a good long-term strategy. Is this an application solely for your own use? If not, you will have no control over which version your customers/clients are using.

I'd spend my time finding out what the problem was.


*SIGH*

I'm not doing this as a long term strategy. I'd like to be able to have the application RUN in the short term.

THEN I can figure out what is going on. The problem is, there is no error reported of ANY kind, so in the short term it isn't a simple thing to fix.

PLEASE help me to simply install 1.6.0 update 18 JDK. This is something that SHOULD be utter CAKE to do...
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 61106
    
  66

You would think so, but I'm not so sure. Apple's never been one to let you regress to previous versions easily.

That said, are you sure that 18 isn't still there? If it is, there may be a way to make it the "official" version.

Take a peek in /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions
Joe Chott
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 27, 2011
Posts: 5
Bear Bibeault wrote:You would think so, but I'm not so sure. Apple's never been one to let you regress to previous versions easily.


Well if you can tell me how to troubleshoot something that yields no errors, I can work it from that angle...

The project is in Eclipse and when I go to run it, I get no window, just a File menu in OSX. No errors in eclipse. And it worked fine before the Java update.
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 61106
    
  66

Can't help you with the debugging, I'm afraid. I don't use eclipse and I don't write GUI apps.

Does it work outside of eclipse?
Joe Chott
Greenhorn

Joined: Jul 27, 2011
Posts: 5
Bear Bibeault wrote:Can't help you with the debugging, I'm afraid. I don't use eclipse and I don't write GUI apps.

Does it work outside of eclipse?


No.
Ulf Dittmer
Marshal

Joined: Mar 22, 2005
Posts: 41634
    
  55
Bear Bibeault wrote:That said, are you sure that 18 isn't still there? If it is, there may be a way to make it the "official" version.

Take a peek in /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions

I don't think Apple ever let you have two versions of the same JDK level (like Java 6) simultaneously. Used to be you could have the latest Java 1.3, latest Java 1.4, latest Java 5 etc. all in parallel, but not two different builds of, say, Java 6.


Ping & DNS - my free Android networking tools app
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 14117
    
  16

Have you tried running the application in debug mode in Eclipse, with a breakpoint right at the beginning in main(), so that you can step through it? Maybe you'll discover that way where exactly it crashes.


Java Beginners FAQ - JavaRanch SCJP FAQ - The Java Tutorial - Java SE 7 API documentation
Scala Notes - My blog about Scala
 
Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
 
subject: Java 1.6.0 Update 18 JDK for OSX?