I have been haunted for some time now trying to get my custom proxy to properly handle when the browser sends a CONNECT request. In order to keep it simple let me explain how I handle the process. Maybe at that point someone can help clarify what I'm doing wrong.
1. Create server with ServerSocketChannel on port 8080.
2. Bind that ServerSocketChannel to a Selector which essentially allows for non-blocking while the server waits for a request from port 8080.
3. As soon as I set my browser to port 8080 and send the request https://google.com it notifies the selector something sent to port 8080.
4. I get that request and see its a CONNECT so i immediately create a response "Connection Established" (request and response i send and receive are below)
Request from browser:
CONNECT google.com:443 HTTP/1.1
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:220.127.116.11) Gecko/20110614 Firefox/3.6.18 GTB7.1
Response I send back to browser over my normal socket:
HTTP/1.1 200 Connection established\r\nProxy-connection: Keep-alive\r\n\r\n
5. Now I wait for something to be sent from browser I was assuming at this point a SSL request would be sent but nothing ever gets sent. I'm starting to think its because I have not established a SSL handshake with the browser so its not going to send a SSL message over that default created socket. Do you think I need to close that socket over port 8080 and establish a new SecureSocket on port 8080 right before I send the connection established response back to browser? This is my next step.I know that the browser needs to send me more data after the initial CONNECT. I don't have enough data with just the CONNECT to go to server yet. I'm thinking it than needs to send me another request something like the following in SSL:
Once I get something like that then I can go establish my secure socket connection with the server and get back the response to send back to browser.
What you think on the right track? Its just that I get no additional message after i send connection established.
Basically all I want to do is PS3 --> PC Proxy --> Web.
For the most part it works but I am struggling to understand CONNECT calls from the browser.
I know I must open a new socket on the host address and port given by the CONNECT call, but what then.
No response is coming back from the server.
I'm also struggling a bit with CONNECT.
Mostly because I do not understand it well.
Did you come right with your problem and if so what was the solution ?
Do you have a code sample to look at ?