This week's book giveaway is in the OCAJP 8 forum. We're giving away four copies of OCA Java SE 8 Programmer I Study Guide and have Edward Finegan & Robert Liguori on-line! See this thread for details.
Can we have a section here (specially for beginners) that has "small/easy" problems in coding that mimic real world apps, but are not too complicated for beginners to implement ?
Some are available in textbooks, but it would be nice to have them all in one place.
We could also have solutions posted by folks and the pros and cons of those could be discussed.
PS : Something like by the experts, of the beginners and for the beginners :P
Maneesh Godbole wrote:Isn't that what the Beginning Java forum all about?
Somewhat. But thats not exactly what i had in mind. It would simply list problems and give links to (user made) solutions and not keep the solutions on the same page.
examples (i think 1 and 2 should be simple) :
(1) make a bank app with password verification.
(2) make a statistics package to get mean, mode, median, standard deviation etc (maybe even gui for the graphs).
(3) make a bus-stop route map WITHOUT GUI (possible ???). People enter the destination(s) and the computer tells them the bus-routes available, shortest etc by drawing the points
on the console.
(4) simulate a seminar where any of the people can ask the speaker a question. Only one person can ask at a time and others have to wait till he gets an answer. If no questions, then the speaker continues to talk.
(5) draw alphabets using *. Spell words using these drawings.