aspose file tools*
The moose likes EJB and other Java EE Technologies and the fly likes Which shall I learn first, EJB or Framework? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Java 8 in Action this week in the Java 8 forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » EJB and other Java EE Technologies
Bookmark "Which shall I learn first, EJB or Framework?" Watch "Which shall I learn first, EJB or Framework?" New topic
Author

Which shall I learn first, EJB or Framework?

Jack Robertson
Greenhorn

Joined: Aug 03, 2011
Posts: 27
I'm about to finish servlets and jsp, what shall i do next? EJB or Frameworks like spring,hibernate?
Jeanne Boyarsky
internet detective
Marshal

Joined: May 26, 2003
Posts: 29275
    
140

I recommend JPA/Hibernate first. (Hibernate implements JPA so you learn both JPA and Hibernate APIs). That way you know how to work with the database. After that EJB and Spring. Knowing both will help in the long run. Luckily the concepts from one will expedite learning the other.


[Blog] [JavaRanch FAQ] [How To Ask Questions The Smart Way] [Book Promos]
Blogging on Certs: SCEA Part 1, Part 2 & 3, Core Spring 3, OCAJP, OCPJP beta, TOGAF part 1 and part 2
Jack Robertson
Greenhorn

Joined: Aug 03, 2011
Posts: 27
Thanks, any book to recommend?
Vijitha Kumara
Bartender

Joined: Mar 24, 2008
Posts: 3775

Jack Robertson wrote:Thanks, any book to recommend?

For EJB you may have the EJB 3 In Action (by Manning) which I have used, is a really good one. You may have a good coverage of JPA in the book itself. And for the Hibernate I think you can refer the documentation/API reference. I know there are more books for Hibernate/Spring too, but I cannot comment on them as I have not used any.


SCJP 5 | SCWCD 5
[How to ask questions] [Twitter]
Jeanne Boyarsky
internet detective
Marshal

Joined: May 26, 2003
Posts: 29275
    
140

EJB 3 in Action covers JPA as well so I'd go with that. For Spring, Spring in Action is good as well.
Jack Robertson
Greenhorn

Joined: Aug 03, 2011
Posts: 27
Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:EJB 3 in Action covers JPA as well so I'd go with that. For Spring, Spring in Action is good as well.

So which one should I learn first, ejb,struts,hibernate or spring?
Jack Robertson
Greenhorn

Joined: Aug 03, 2011
Posts: 27
laura ding wrote:If I were you, I will learn Framework at first.


Agreed. I only asked cause one of my former teachers said EJB is like the guide for the frameworks but when I did my own research online they don't seem to share too much in common. Anyways just for the framework part, which one shall I study first? Can I learn spring first cause lots of java jobs seem to favour spring over the other two?
Vijitha Kumara
Bartender

Joined: Mar 24, 2008
Posts: 3775

I only asked cause one of my former teachers said EJB is like the guide for the frameworks

Other frameworks like Spring/Hibernate etc... simplifies the most of old EJB (prior to 3.0) programming model.
Anyways just for the framework part, which one shall I study first?

It may be your personal preference and/or any immediate work you are interested in and the framework(s) which is based on.
Jeanne Boyarsky
internet detective
Marshal

Joined: May 26, 2003
Posts: 29275
    
140

Jack Robertson wrote:
Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:EJB 3 in Action covers JPA as well so I'd go with that. For Spring, Spring in Action is good as well.

So which one should I learn first, ejb,struts,hibernate or spring?

I'd learn Hibernate first. (Hibernate implements JPA so this fits my earlier advice.)
Jack Robertson
Greenhorn

Joined: Aug 03, 2011
Posts: 27
Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:
Jack Robertson wrote:
Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:EJB 3 in Action covers JPA as well so I'd go with that. For Spring, Spring in Action is good as well.

So which one should I learn first, ejb,struts,hibernate or spring?

I'd learn Hibernate first. (Hibernate implements JPA so this fits my earlier advice.)

So how about struts? Is it necessary to learn struts 1.3? Can I learn struts 2 directly or after spring?
Jeanne Boyarsky
internet detective
Marshal

Joined: May 26, 2003
Posts: 29275
    
140

Struts 1 and Struts 2 are completely different. Struts 2 is based on webworks. You can learn Spring MVC without knowing anything about Struts.
Jack Robertson
Greenhorn

Joined: Aug 03, 2011
Posts: 27
Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:Struts 1 and Struts 2 are completely different. Struts 2 is based on webworks. You can learn Spring MVC without knowing anything about Struts.

Thanks. One more question, which framework is the most useful for jobs?
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Which shall I learn first, EJB or Framework?
 
Similar Threads
Contradiction in B&S
2 weekend study group for webservices
cronss job
Getting Started - EJB
Which one shall I learn first, EJB3 or frameworks?