Win a copy of Mesos in Action this week in the Cloud/Virtualizaton forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

SAX problem only in android

 
Alessandro Camel
Ranch Hand
Posts: 35
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I have read about the problem in the SAX parser (sometimes it can return only chunck of data: it's up to the developer to handle this).
I'd like to understand why my class acts very well when I use it in the command line but it truncate the text if I use it into android.
Of course the data are the same in both cases.

Does it depends to the virtual machine?

Thanks


 
Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
Posts: 42967
73
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Not all SAX implementations work exactly the same, which is fine as long as they conform to the SAX javadocs. It sounds as if you're hitting the problem described at the top of the XmlFaq; see that page for more details.
 
Alessandro Camel
Ranch Hand
Posts: 35
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ulf Dittmer wrote:Not all SAX implementations work exactly the same, which is fine as long as they conform to the SAX javadocs. It sounds as if you're hitting the problem described at the top of the XmlFaq; see that page for more details.


Thanks Ulf, indeed I had that problem and I bumped into a lot of posts about it!
I resolved it quite soon, but I was surprise to see different behaviors between "linux command line" and "android emulator" (please forgive me for these terms! )

I am following "Head First Android delevopment" book and I spent about 10 hours to fix the first "ready bake code"!!

It's quite fun: good exercize for my brain and for my (very little) java skills too!!!
 
zoheb hassan
Ranch Hand
Posts: 154
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey Alessandro is the book out i.e.Head First Android development??
 
Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
Posts: 42967
73
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Google would know that much faster than anyone here could possibly answer, no?
 
Alessandro Camel
Ranch Hand
Posts: 35
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
zoheb hassan wrote:Hey Alessandro is the book out i.e.Head First Android development??


It's an "early release" that I have bought from O'Reilly in pdf format.
It is not complete and there are different mistakes, but as "Head First Java" I'm enjoying it! ;)
 
jonathan simon
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Alessandro Camel wrote:
I am following "Head First Android delevopment" book and I spent about 10 hours to fix the first "ready bake code"!!

It's quite fun: good exercize for my brain and for my (very little) java skills too!!!


Hi Alessandro.

I'm the author of Head First Android Development and I'm cranking away trying to get the last few chapters finished off. I'm really sorry that the ready baked code from the NASA Image of the day app is broken! Those were some of the first chapters I wrote and I had an inordinate number of copy/paste mistakes that I'm working hard to fix now. If you find issues as you work through the book, it would be great if you could add errata (there is a place for errata on the book page at O'Reilly http://oreilly.com/catalog/0636920012825).

That said, if you (or anyone else) has any suggestions about a better or more generic way to implement the SAX parsing, drop me a line here or at jonathan.s.simon@gmail.com. I'm also in the process of getting the code example apps for book packaged up for distribution which would make your problems a lot less hard to solve. I'm leaning towards github to make it easy for learners to fork the examples, but we'll have to see how O'Reilly wants to distribute the code ;)

I hope you're enjoying the book Alessandro! Love to hear what you think!

Thanks!
Jonathan
 
Alessandro Camel
Ranch Hand
Posts: 35
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
jonathan simon wrote:

Hi Alessandro.

I'm the author of Head First Android Development and I'm cranking away trying to get the last few chapters finished off. I'm really sorry that the ready baked code from the NASA Image of the day app is broken! Those were some of the first chapters I wrote and I had an inordinate number of copy/paste mistakes that I'm working hard to fix now. If you find issues as you work through the book, it would be great if you could add errata (there is a place for errata on the book page at O'Reilly http://oreilly.com/catalog/0636920012825).

That said, if you (or anyone else) has any suggestions about a better or more generic way to implement the SAX parsing, drop me a line here or at jonathan.s.simon@gmail.com. I'm also in the process of getting the code example apps for book packaged up for distribution which would make your problems a lot less hard to solve. I'm leaning towards github to make it easy for learners to fork the examples, but we'll have to see how O'Reilly wants to distribute the code ;)

I hope you're enjoying the book Alessandro! Love to hear what you think!

Thanks!
Jonathan


Thanks Jonathan,
as I said, I really like the book and I am going to send you an email with my impressions and I am going to submit the errata I found on it!

With this I'd like to thank you, pubblicaly, for your work !
I am really enjoying the book, but more than that, it really gave me the possibility to put my hands on android programming without been boring from hundreds of theorical stuff.
(and I mean put my hand on java code, not only XML code as a lot of beginners books are doing).

I feel to say anyone:" hey, this book is great for starting: buy it, but you have to clean your dust for your old java books, and put beside it another "not funny" android book"! ;)

Best regards
Alessandro
 
jonathan simon
Greenhorn
Posts: 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Quick follow-up:

I posted the sample code for the book on GitHub: https://github.com/jonathansimon/HFAD-Code-Samples. Right now, I added the sample code for chapters 1-4. I'm working revisions of chapters 6-8, so I'm holding off up putting that code up there.

I tracked down the issues with the NASA app and it actually looks like in addition to the issues mentioned here, they updated the feed changing the location of the image to be inside a link/enclosure element. It should be all working now.

If you see any other issues, or have suggestions on improving the code, drop me a line. Thanks!
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic