• Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

Unix or Linux - which to learn and which resources ?

 
Rahul Sudip Bose
Ranch Hand
Posts: 637
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Which one should i learn ?
Please suggest some good beginner level books for unix and linux.

Thanks.
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 34071
331
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Linux because it is free and you can install it on your machine. The commands are similar across UNIX/Linux implementations so unless you are planning to become a UNIX admin, it doesn't matter which you choose.
 
Rahul Sudip Bose
Ranch Hand
Posts: 637
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:Linux because it is free and you can install it on your machine. The commands are similar across UNIX/Linux implementations so unless you are planning to become a UNIX admin, it doesn't matter which you choose.


I was suggested unix here

Bear Bibeault wrote:Installing cygwin on a Windows machine can help give you a flavor of the Unix command line.

Without knowledge of development using the Unix command line, you put yourself well behind the eight ball when it comes to job prospects.


Which one of the two OS would be better in terms of :
(1) Quantity and quality of learning resources available.
(2) Need in industry
 
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal
Pie
Posts: 64618
86
IntelliJ IDE Java jQuery Mac Mac OS X
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Please actually read what I wrote. I said that you need familiarity with the Unix command line. Any flavor of Unix, including Linux and even OS X, will give you that.
 
Rahul Sudip Bose
Ranch Hand
Posts: 637
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Bear Bibeault wrote:Please actually read what I wrote. I said that you need familiarity with the Unix command line. Any flavor of Unix, including Linux and even OS X, will give you that.


Ok.
(1)Can you suggest some beginner level books for Linux ?

(2)Which flavour of linux would be best for a beginner (i have ubuntu, but i rarely use it) ?

(3)Can i experience unix-like interface on ubuntu linux (which is GUI based) -> the black screens and only typing commands ?

Thanks.
 
Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Marshal
Posts: 34071
331
Eclipse IDE Java VI Editor
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Ubuntu is fine and since you have it installed, that is perfect. If you got applications > accessibility > terminal, you get the command line view. Just stay within that and you are command line only. Many UNIX systems let you open a GUI view; it's just not the default.

The last time I read a UNIX book was about 8 years ago, so I'll pass on recommending one.
 
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper
Posts: 11021
12
Android Eclipse IDE Google Web Toolkit Java Mac Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jeanne Boyarsky wrote: If you got applications > accessibility > terminal, you get the command line view. Just stay within that and you are command line only.

Or invoke Alt+F2 and enter gnome-terminal.
I have found ubuntu well documented with lots of resources on the net, including their own forums
If you google around, you can get many useful results like this or this
 
Joe Harry
Ranch Hand
Posts: 10081
3
Eclipse IDE Mac PPC Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Rahul Sudip Bose wrote:
Bear Bibeault wrote:Please actually read what I wrote. I said that you need familiarity with the Unix command line. Any flavor of Unix, including Linux and even OS X, will give you that.


Ok.
(1)Can you suggest some beginner level books for Linux ?

(2)Which flavour of linux would be best for a beginner (i have ubuntu, but i rarely use it) ?

(3)Can i experience unix-like interface on ubuntu linux (which is GUI based) -> the black screens and only typing commands ?

Thanks.


Ubuntu is good. I found Linux in a Nutshell to be a good reference.
 
arulk pillai
Author
Ranch Hand
Posts: 3385
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
You could also download emulators for Windows like cygwin, msys, etc to practice your UNIX commands within Windows. For books, go to amazon.com and do a search, browse through the sample pages, and check review comments.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic