File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

running an application

 
Giuseppa Cefalu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 121
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
What do I have to do so that the users can ran an application witout having to use the compiler. is this what har files are for? How can I make so that the users run the application with the click of a button without seen the code?
 
Minh Nam
Ranch Hand
Posts: 57
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Giuseppa Cefalu wrote:What do I have to do so that the users can ran an application witout having to use the compiler. is this what har files are for? How can I make so that the users run the application with the click of a button without seen the code?


By putting your compiled classes into a Java Archive (JAR) file. You can think a .jar file is similar to .exe one.
 
Giuseppa Cefalu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 121
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thank you! In order to run the jar file, could one put the jar in a folder on the VM that will be runnable by everyone, perhaps /usr/local/bin.
 
Giuseppa Cefalu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 121
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I found this great tutorial on how to create, distribute and executing a JAR file. A jar file allows for the running of the application outside the IDE. Does this means that once in the jar any user without a compiler in his/her computer can run the program?
 
Minh Nam
Ranch Hand
Posts: 57
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Giuseppa Cefalu wrote:Thank you! In order to run the jar file, could one put the jar in a folder on the VM that will be runnable by everyone, perhaps /usr/local/bin.

Can be anywhere.
 
Minh Nam
Ranch Hand
Posts: 57
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Giuseppa Cefalu wrote:I found this great tutorial on how to create, distribute and executing a JAR file. A jar file allows for the running of the application outside the IDE. Does this means that once in the jar any user without a compiler in his/her computer can run the program?

Yes, as long as the user has Java Runtime installed and .jar file is associated with java launcher.
 
Giuseppa Cefalu
Ranch Hand
Posts: 121
  • 0
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Thanks a lot!
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic