aspose file tools*
The moose likes Android and the fly likes logcat? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Mobile » Android
Bookmark "logcat?" Watch "logcat?" New topic
Author

logcat?

Jack Si
Greenhorn

Joined: Sep 19, 2011
Posts: 5
SO im very new to android (hello world new) and i really just want to make a single app that only displays logcat .... could some one give me a place to start? The dev page isnt very helpful

I have been playing around with this code =/ (not mine but im trying to figure out how it works and trying to get it to display)

Tim Moores
Rancher

Joined: Sep 21, 2011
Posts: 2408
Have you verified -maybe using a Terminal app- that "logcat" is a functional command on your Android device? It's not on mine.
Jack Si
Greenhorn

Joined: Sep 19, 2011
Posts: 5
Tim Moores wrote:Have you verified -maybe using a Terminal app- that "logcat" is a functional command on your Android device? It's not on mine.


logcat not a command its a log....

[adb] logcat [<option>] ... [<filter-spec>] .
Tim Moores
Rancher

Joined: Sep 21, 2011
Posts: 2408
I'm familiar with logcat. You're using it as a command on the device, though, which is unlikely to work.
Jack Si
Greenhorn

Joined: Sep 19, 2011
Posts: 5
Jack Si wrote:
Tim Moores wrote:Have you verified -maybe using a Terminal app- that "logcat" is a functional command on your Android device? It's not on mine.


logcat not a command its a log....

[adb] logcat [<option>] ... [<filter-spec>] .



perhaps but im using an emulator at the moment
Tim Moores
Rancher

Joined: Sep 21, 2011
Posts: 2408
"adb" is not part of the emulator, but it can access either an emulator or an actual device.
Jack Si
Greenhorn

Joined: Sep 19, 2011
Posts: 5
Tim Moores wrote:"adb" is not part of the emulator, but it can access either an emulator or an actual device.


Yes, you have to set it up, but im not using adb =/

I have another program that uses logcat and it works perfectly fine
Tim Moores
Rancher

Joined: Sep 21, 2011
Posts: 2408
That leads us back to the question: is "logcat" a valid, working command on your device? Have you tried it in a terminal emulator?
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: logcat?