aspose file tools*
The moose likes Struts and the fly likes No result defined for action Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Spring in Action this week in the Spring forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Frameworks » Struts
Bookmark "No result defined for action" Watch "No result defined for action" New topic
Author

No result defined for action

Glenn Puckett
Greenhorn

Joined: Sep 09, 2008
Posts: 16
I have run into a really weird problem. I have been developing a new application based on Struts2 and Tiles among other things. As late as yesterday the flow of the application was working fine. I was just adding new functions and getting the code working corectly. Today I have run into a configuration problem that I just can't figure out.

The function has a login action. I am handling the login processing with an interceptor. Once the interceptor verifies a good userid and password it returns the proper result to go to the action that generates the application dashboard.

Here is the relevant struts.xml:


When I complete the login, control passes to the DashboardAction module as expected. I have traced the execution in that module to the point that it returns "success". Then I get a 404 return code in the browser. The message is:


type: Status report
message: No result defined for action mm.actions.admin.DashboardAction and result success
description: The requested resource (No result defined for action mm.actions.admin.DashboardAction and result success) is not available.


I sure could use a suggestion or two. This code was working yesterday!!
debraj mallick
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 08, 2011
Posts: 188

hi Glenn Puckett,

use tiles definition name, let us consider your tiles definition is "glenn" i.e.

so put
Glenn Puckett
Greenhorn

Joined: Sep 09, 2008
Posts: 16
debraj mallick wrote:hi Glenn Puckett,

use tiles definition name, let us consider your tiles definition is "glenn" i.e.

so put


I appreciate your reply but, in this case, you are off base on your reply. I forget sometimes in these forums that the [logical] assumption is that the poster either doesn't really know what they are doing or only knows enough to cause trouble!! lol Not the case here.

No, I have the appropriate tiles definitions in the tiles.xml file. As I stated, it was working just the day before.

It APPEARS that there is a 2-fold problem here. I have tried to separate the application into the regular application functionality and the administrative functionality. I have 2 action packages. ( I had modified the names a little bit in my example to simplify the example, but it turns out the names are significant.) One package was named mm.myap.actions. The other was named mm.myap.admin.actions. I was trying to organize the packaging structure and had renamed the admin package to mm.myap.actions.admin. So I had mm.myap.actions and mm.myap.actions.admin. It appears there is a problem with the struts2/tiles api because that is when I started getting those error messages. It took forever to figure that out. When I changed the admin package back to mm.myap.admin.actions the functions started working again. And that is the ONLY change I made. I have tried it several times with the same result. The resulting assumption I have made is the process within JBoss and struts2 of introspection when starting up only is effective for the first 3 levels of package names. Doesn't make sense to me, but I have tested this assumption several times and proved that accomodating the assumption avoids the problem.

In addition there appears to be a second complication. I am using Eclipse for my development. It has turned out that if I make changes to struts.xml or tiles.xml even a restart of the JBoss server inside Eclipse will not properly pick up the xml changes. I have to STOP JBoss from inside Eclipse then deploy the application to the JBoss server instance outside of Eclipse (even though it's supposed to do that automatically), then restart JBoss from inside Eclipse before it will properly pick up the struts/tiles changes.

At first I thought is might be possible that the entire problem is limited to the Eclipse/Jboss interface and would not happen when JBoss is run independently. I finally checked that and found that it does happen.

So, I know how to work around it but there is a problem somewhere. It could be in my overall configuration, but I don't think so. Or it is a problem with the API. Which I think is less likely but more possible in this situation.
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: No result defined for action