1. You need WebSphere Network Deployment version. (WAS ND)
2. Create a Deployment Manager (Dmgr) profile.
3. Create two custom profiles on typically two different physical machines (also known as Nodes) and federate them to the Dmgr profile.
4. Log into the Dmgr WAS console and create a cluster.
5. Create cluster members in such a way that at least one application server runs on each of the nodes.
6. At the end of all the steps, following JVM processes will run across different machines.
AppServer01 (running in Node01 and part of NodeAgent01)
AppServer02 (running in Node02 and part of NodeAgent02)
7. You can start Dmgr, NodeAgent01, and NodeAgent02 in any order.
8. AppServer01 should always be started after NodeAgent01. Same applies for NodeAgent02/AppServer02
9. Once you have done this manually then you can create Jython script to automate some of the above steps.