wood burning stoves*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Sometimes, you get exactly what you ordered. Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Sometimes, you get exactly what you ordered." Watch "Sometimes, you get exactly what you ordered." New topic
Author

Sometimes, you get exactly what you ordered.

Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 61095
    
  66



[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
Ryan McGuire
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 18, 2005
Posts: 1007
    
    3
Ok, I admit it... it took me about ten seconds to get this.
Darryl Burke
Bartender

Joined: May 03, 2008
Posts: 4531
    
    5

Ryan McGuire wrote:Ok, I admit it... it took me about ten seconds to get this.

Me too


luck, db
There are no new questions, but there may be new answers.
john price
Ranch Hand

Joined: Feb 24, 2011
Posts: 495

I had to look it up :P
http://memerial.net/2072-ill-have-some-h2o-too
Answer in the comments section


“Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job.” (Mosher's Law of Software Engineering)
“If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming must be the process of putting them in.” (Edsger Dijkstra)
Saurabh Pillai
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 12, 2008
Posts: 507
I read it, didn't get it, I left it, caught up in something else for few hours, I read it again and I got it by myself

It's a good one.
Jeanne Boyarsky
internet detective
Marshal

Joined: May 26, 2003
Posts: 30369
    
150

LOL


[Blog] [JavaRanch FAQ] [How To Ask Questions The Smart Way] [Book Promos]
Blogging on Certs: SCEA Part 1, Part 2 & 3, Core Spring 3, OCAJP, OCPJP beta, TOGAF part 1 and part 2
Mike Okri
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 22, 2011
Posts: 83
That's a deadly drink order and that's an extraordinarily intelligent waiter.
Michael Matola
whippersnapper
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 25, 2001
Posts: 1746
    
    2
I would pronounce "H20 too" and "H202" very differently.

H20 too -- AITCH - too - oh - TOO
H202 -- AITCH - too - OH - too
John Jai
Bartender

Joined: May 31, 2011
Posts: 1776
Michael Matola wrote:I would pronounce "H20 too" and "H202" very differently.

It still depends on the waiter to notice it
Akhilesh Trivedi
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 22, 2005
Posts: 1526
Good one.


Keep Smiling Always — My life is smoother when running silent. -paul
[FAQs] [Certification Guides] [The Linux Documentation Project]
Seetharaman Venkatasamy
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jan 28, 2008
Posts: 5575

Awesome in some situation, lion cant be a competitor of a cat !
Pat Farrell
Rancher

Joined: Aug 11, 2007
Posts: 4646
    
    5

I took chemistry too long ago. I assume that H2O2 is some poison/acid, but what? The H2 would be just a hydrogen pair, and the O2 an oxygen pair. What's the detail that I'm missing?
Paul Clapham
Bartender

Joined: Oct 14, 2005
Posts: 18541
    
    8

H2O2 = Hydrogen peroxide.
Paul Anilprem
Enthuware Software Support
Ranch Hand

Joined: Sep 23, 2000
Posts: 3285
    
    7
H202. Yeah, that's a smart drink to order. You could get hydrated as well oxygenated at the same time ;)
Ajit would love it

(I know, it should be oxidized, but oxygenated sounds more logical here )


Enthuware - Best Mock Exams and Questions for Oracle/Sun Java Certifications
Quality Guaranteed - Pass or Full Refund!
Randall Twede
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 21, 2000
Posts: 4340
    
    2

hydrogen peroxide is actually pretty good to put in your mouth(a great germ killer). just don't swallow it.


SCJP
Visit my download page
Greg Charles
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 01, 2001
Posts: 2849
    
  11

Michael Matola wrote:I would pronounce "H20 too" and "H202" very differently.

H20 too -- AITCH - too - oh - TOO
H202 -- AITCH - too - OH - too


That's a great point! I blame the waiter, and definitely think he deserves a substandard gratuity.
Randall Twede
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 21, 2000
Posts: 4340
    
    2

a gratuity? i think not.
Mike Okri
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 22, 2011
Posts: 83
It doesn’t matter if you call it toe-ma-toe or ta-may-toe or toe-mah-toe. It’s the same thing. I think that he got exactly what he ordered.
Mike Simmons
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 05, 2008
Posts: 3012
    
  10
But with toe-ma-toe vs. ta-may-toe vs. toe-mah-toe there's no ambiguity - each pronunciation still means tomato, period. So it's easy to resolve that one and ignore differences in pronunciation, since they don't affect the result. With "H2O2" vs. "H2O too" there are differences in pronunciation [ui]and in meaning[/i]. I'd say the onus is on the waiter to pay attention to such differences, when they do in fact make a difference.
Mike Okri
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 22, 2011
Posts: 83
Mike Simmons wrote:With "H2O2" vs. "H2O too" there are differences in pronunciation.

This is debatable, however, if my life depends on a subtle difference in pronunciation, I'd make sure that I make myself absolutely clear.
Michael Matola
whippersnapper
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 25, 2001
Posts: 1746
    
    2
Mike Okri wrote:
This is debatable


So tell us how you same them.
Mike Okri
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 22, 2011
Posts: 83
Dabatable implies that some people will pronunciation them the same way. However, if we agree that there is a difference in pronunciation, the difference is too subtle to risk my life by not making myself absolutely clear.
Mike Simmons
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 05, 2008
Posts: 3012
    
  10
Mike Okri wrote:Dabatable implies that some people will pronunciation them the same way.

Perhaps, but those people are wrong.

Mike Okri wrote:However, if we agree that there is a difference in pronunciation, the difference is too subtle to risk my life by not making myself absolutely clear.

I'd say the two big mistakes here are really (a) if the waiter really thought the customer wanted hydrogen peroxide for some reason, why on earth did he bring it in a drinking glass, looking identical to a glass of water? And (b) why did the customer not notice the distinct strong smell of hydrogen peroxide, and stop before drinking? The situation requires considerable stupidity from both parties. The alleged ambiguity regarding pronunciation is minor in comparison, in my opinion.
Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Marshal

Joined: Jul 08, 2003
Posts: 24183
    
  34

Randall Twede wrote:hydrogen peroxide is actually pretty good to put in your mouth(a great germ killer). just don't swallow it.


The stuff you buy in the grocery is a dilute solution (between 3 and 6%). You wouldn't want to put lab-grade peroxide in your mouth!


[Jess in Action][AskingGoodQuestions]
Steve Luke
Bartender

Joined: Jan 28, 2003
Posts: 4181
    
  21

Mike Simmons wrote:I'd say the two big mistakes here are really (a) if the waiter really thought the customer wanted hydrogen peroxide for some reason, why on earth did he bring it in a drinking glass, looking identical to a glass of water?


The waiter asked for their drink order. The customers made their orders, why would the waiter not think he was making an order to drink like any other order to drink?

Mike Simmons wrote:And (b) why did the customer not notice the distinct strong smell of hydrogen peroxide, and stop before drinking?


Clearly all folks involved have no noses.


Steve
Mike Okri
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 22, 2011
Posts: 83
Mike Simmons wrote:Perhaps, but those people are wrong.

I'm sure you will admit that you're not always perfect in your pronunciation. The bottom line is that some people will pronounce them the same way irrespective of whether it's right or wrong.

Mike Simmons wrote:I'd say the two big mistakes here are really

I agree that it's an unlikely scenario, but sometimes real life is stranger than fiction. People have intentionally or accidentally consumed worse drinks.
Matthew Brown
Bartender

Joined: Apr 06, 2010
Posts: 4372
    
    8

Mike Okri wrote:
Mike Simmons wrote:Perhaps, but those people are wrong.

I'm sure you will admit that you're not always perfect in your pronunciation. The bottom line is that some people will pronounce them the same way irrespective of whether it's right or wrong.

Especially since that when it comes to pronunciation, "right" is almost certainly not well-defined.

(And you're probably not even talking about a change in pronunciation here - just a change of emphasis. If that.)
Mike Okri
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 22, 2011
Posts: 83
That's true; especially since we still don't know who owns the English language

I would imagine that a change in emphasis is a change in pronunciation.
Mike Simmons
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 05, 2008
Posts: 3012
    
  10
Mike Okri wrote:
Mike Simmons wrote:Perhaps, but those people are wrong.

I'm sure you will admit that you're not always perfect in your pronunciation.

Yes, and there was a on that quote originally; I know that "right" is not well-defined for the English language.

Mike Okri wrote:The bottom line is that some people will pronounce them the same way irrespective of whether it's right or wrong.

Yes, and some people will mishear things regardless of how they were pronounced.

But this is a far cry from "he got exactly what he ordered".
Randall Twede
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 21, 2000
Posts: 4340
    
    2


The stuff you buy in the grocery is a dilute solution (between 3 and 6%). You wouldn't want to put lab-grade peroxide in your mouth!


of course you are absolutely correct ernest. i stand corrected.
Mike Okri
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 22, 2011
Posts: 83
Mike Simmons wrote:But this is a far cry from "he got exactly what he ordered".

I think that the cartoon is correct in saying that the customer got exactly what he ordered for the following reasons:
  • if you believe that there is no difference in pronunciation or that the difference is subtle (for example break and brake), then the customer got exactly what he ordered because the waiter cannot be expected to read the customer’s mind.
  • if you believe that the difference in pronunciation is obvious, then we can assume that the cartoon is insinuating that the customer used the wrong pronunciation, in which case, the customer got exactly what he ordered because (again) the waiter cannot be expected to read the customer’s mind.

  • Mike Simmons
    Ranch Hand

    Joined: Mar 05, 2008
    Posts: 3012
        
      10
    Mike Okri wrote:
    Mike Simmons wrote:But this is a far cry from "he got exactly what he ordered".

    I think that the cartoon is correct in saying that the customer got exactly what he ordered for the following reasons:
  • if you believe that there is no difference in pronunciation or that the difference is subtle (for example break and brake), then the customer got exactly what he ordered because the waiter cannot be expected to read the customer’s mind.

  • I don't believe the difference is either nonexistent or subtle. But if I did, I would still expect the waiter to, given the two possible interpretations, choose the one that doesn't involve poisoning the customer. Or if in doubt, ask a simple follow-up question, before poisoning the customer.

    Mike Okri wrote:
  • if you believe that the difference in pronunciation is obvious, then we can assume that the cartoon is insinuating that the customer used the wrong pronunciation, in which case, the customer got exactly what he ordered because (again) the waiter cannot be expected to read the customer’s mind.

  • Alternately, we could assume that the customer said exactly what the cartoon depicted him as saying. In which case the waiter screwed up, and the customer did not get what he ordered.
    Mike Okri
    Ranch Hand

    Joined: Jun 22, 2011
    Posts: 83
    Mike Simmons wrote:Or if in doubt, ask a simple follow-up question, before poisoning the customer

    In the waiter's mind, there was no doubt that the customer ordered for H2O2. He can't be faulted for this because he is entitled to his interpretation, especially when there is no obvious difference in pronunciation. The customer erroneously subjected himself to the interpretation of the waiter. Maybe the waiter's intention was not to poison the customer. Maybe he thought that the customer needed some H2O2 for a quick experiment.

    Mike Simmons wrote:Alternately, we could assume that the customer said exactly what the cartoon depicted him as saying.

    That’s exactly what I’m saying. If you believe that there is an obvious difference in pronunciation, then we can assume that the customer said exactly what the cartoon depicted him as saying but he used the wrong pronunciation. In other words, he said H2O too but erroneously pronounced H2O2 and got exactly what he ordered.
    Mike Simmons
    Ranch Hand

    Joined: Mar 05, 2008
    Posts: 3012
        
      10
    OK, I don't really see this going anywhere from here. Later.
    Mike Okri
    Ranch Hand

    Joined: Jun 22, 2011
    Posts: 83
    You're right. There's no point questioning the cartoon. Let's just enjoy it's funny, clever word play.
     
    I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
     
    subject: Sometimes, you get exactly what you ordered.