aspose file tools*
The moose likes HTML, CSS and JavaScript and the fly likes Is HTML 5 mature enough? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of EJB 3 in Action this week in the EJB and other Java EE Technologies forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » HTML, CSS and JavaScript
Bookmark "Is HTML 5 mature enough?" Watch "Is HTML 5 mature enough?" New topic
Author

Is HTML 5 mature enough?

Tejas Jain
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 04, 2008
Posts: 119
What browsers can support HTML 5 completely?


"Knowing is not enough, you must apply... Willing is not enough, you must do."
--Bruce Lee
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 60049
    
  65

None. HTML 5 is far from "complete" so how could any browser support it completely?


[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
Tejas Jain
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 04, 2008
Posts: 119
The reason I was asking is that HTML5 won the war over Flash Player, at least on the mobile version:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2011/11/mobile-flash-player-blackberry.html

One thing I like about HTML5 is its support of multiple video formats. Flash player only supports
FLV video well.
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 60049
    
  65

video is just one teeny tiny minuscule part of HTML 5. It just gets a lot of press.
Tejas Jain
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 04, 2008
Posts: 119
How good is the current HTML5 mobile version? I do not think HTML4 has a mobile version
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 60049
    
  65

That doesn't make much sense. Mobile version of what?
Tejas Jain
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 04, 2008
Posts: 119
Mobile devices only support a Flash Player lite, which does not support full version of Flex or Flash.
I was wondering if it is the same case for HTML5 engine in mobile devices.
Paul Clapham
Bartender

Joined: Oct 14, 2005
Posts: 18118
    
    8

I don't think you are really paying attention to the answers you are getting. Each mobile device is going to have its own implementation of HTML 5, if it has one at all. So, as already pointed out, it makes little sense to ask about HTML 5 implementations in mobile devices in general.
Tejas Jain
Ranch Hand

Joined: Mar 04, 2008
Posts: 119
Paul Clapham wrote:... Each mobile device is going to have its own implementation of HTML 5, if it has one at all...


So function X in HTML 5 spec may be implemented by mobile device A, but may not by mobile device B?
Tony Tirolese
Greenhorn

Joined: Nov 20, 2011
Posts: 12

Paul Clapham wrote:I don't think you are really paying attention to the answers you are getting. Each mobile device is going to have its own implementation of HTML 5, if it has one at all. So, as already pointed out, it makes little sense to ask about HTML 5 implementations in mobile devices in general.


That's what makes the retreat of Flash so....
Emilia con
Greenhorn

Joined: Oct 28, 2011
Posts: 3
I have recently started using Silverlight for LOB applications. Along with patterns like MVVM, Silverlight 4.0 i think is mature enough framework to have an Business app built, although I must admit it is high effort if you are not using RIA services.
Now I hear about HTML5 as the future of Rich UI development. How long before HTML5 is mature enough to build LOB apps? Will it have some sort of data binding framework for its controls?
I was hoping I do not have to worry about HTML5 for another couple of years
Gregg Bolinger
GenRocket Founder
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 11, 2001
Posts: 15286
    
    6

Emilia con wrote:I have recently started using Silverlight for LOB applications. Along with patterns like MVVM, Silverlight 4.0 i think is mature enough framework to have an Business app built, although I must admit it is high effort if you are not using RIA services.
Now I hear about HTML5 as the future of Rich UI development. How long before HTML5 is mature enough to build LOB apps? Will it have some sort of data binding framework for its controls?
I was hoping I do not have to worry about HTML5 for another couple of years


Silverlight is dead in the water. No new versions are going to be released. Even Adobe has stopped mobile flash development and has started pouring money into HTML5.


GenRocket - A Test Data Generation Platform
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Is HTML 5 mature enough?
 
Similar Threads
Hibernate Book
HybridJava -share your opinion
HTML 5 vs XHTML which one will be used more in future.
ORM model FAQs
Will HTML5 replace Javascript in future?