Does anyone know if there a pattern to the number of questions per objective on the exam? In other words, are there one or two questions for each objective, are some objectives skipped entirely, are some more extensively covered, or is it random?
The objective of SCJA is to gain basic knowledge of Object-Oriented Concepts, UML representation of OO concepts, the Java programming language, and general knowledge of Java Platforms and Technologies.
• Topic 1 Fundamental Object-Oriented Concepts
• Topic 2 UML Representation of Object-Oriented Concepts
• Topic 3 Java Implementation of Object-Oriented Concepts
• Topic 4 Algorithm Design and Implementation
• Topic 5 Java Development Fundamentals
• Topic 6 Java Platforms and Integration Technologies
• Topic 7 Client Technologies
• Topic 8 Server Technologies
We cannot make any assumptions about number of questions/exam objective mentioned above.
Mike if you are talking about Java 7 then this review might help you. As far as pattern goes all objectives are covered in detail for beta exam. All basics will be included so practice practice & practice.
I Googled for Java SE 7 to find any reviews for beta exam but no help so that’s why I am writing my own review for Java SE 7 beta exam.
The exam can be categorized into 7 sections.
1. Java basics
2. Working with Java Data types
3. Create and manipulate strings
4. Creating and using Arrays
5. Using loop constructs
6. Working with Methods and Encapsulation
7. Working with inherence
8. Handling Exceptions
I think each section was covered pretty much in detail and you will see a lot of tricky questions so my recommendation is to read question twice. You will get 3 hours for 120 questions. As per oracle objectives, JDBC API and Locale class were new addition to Java Associate certification but as far as I remember my test had only 2 or 3 questions from these 2 objectives.
I read 3 books to prepare for my exam.
1. Sun Certified Programmer & Developer for Java 2
2. McGraw Hill Java The Complete Reference 7th Edition Dec 2006
3. McGraw Hill OCP Java SE 6 Programmer Practice Exams Oct 2010
This associate exam only tests your Java basics knowledge and it's cheap. Cost is only $50. So go for it!!! Good Luck !!!
Confused. Based on the information here, this exam looks like an introductory exam covering the most basic and introductory elements of coding.
However, I see references in several recent posts to things like JDBC, J2EE, Java Beans, UML, so on and so forth. I'm just learning Java via the online tutorials, but I have experience with similar languages and was just about to register for the OCJA Java 7SE exam thinking it would be a breeze.
Is there more to this exam than the list of exam topics is letting on?
Tony, just follow Oracle exam objectives and you should be fine. Its a beta exam thats why there are some questions from JDBC API & Locale. J2EE, JavaBeans & UML is not included in beta exam. Online tutorial and looking at APIs are the best sources.