Win a copy of Think Java: How to Think Like a Computer Scientist this week in the Java in General forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

@override error

 
Matt Swaggi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 61
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Hey Folks

The error I am right know facing is stated below

method commandCompleted(CommandEvent) of type new CommandListener(){} must override
a superclass method.


Even though I have included @ override in the method , still it show as error .

My developement is RAD IDE version 7.0.0 . I installed jdk 1.6 .

what else i have to do , please help me .

Any information is highly appreciable.

CSG

 
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff
Posts: 48917
58
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
It is @Override with a capital O.
You need to find the details of the superclass method you are trying to override, and compare them with your new method. Print both their headings.
 
Rob Spoor
Sheriff
Pie
Posts: 20527
54
Chrome Eclipse IDE Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Are you sure you've named the method correctly? That you're using the right CommandEvent class? That the CommandEvent is properly imported?
Java 6 added support for @Override for methods implemented for an interface as well, so that couldn't be the issue.
 
Matt Swaggi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 61
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Rob

The file was imported . It is actually the production code which I checked out .
I still dont why I face this problem even though I use the higher version of jdk 1.6
 
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff
Posts: 48917
58
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Please print the method headers for the method you are trying to override, and your overriding method.
 
Joanne Neal
Rancher
Posts: 3742
16
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Guna Ranjan wrote:My developement is RAD IDE version 7.0.0 . I installed jdk 1.6 .

Have you configured RAD to use JDK 1.6. According to this it appears to use IBM's JDK 5 by default - can't remember when annotations were introduced.
 
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff
Posts: 48917
58
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Annotations came in with Java5, but @Override works differently in Java5 and Java6.
 
Matt Swaggi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 61
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Joanne Neal wrote:
Guna Ranjan wrote:My developement is RAD IDE version 7.0.0 . I installed jdk 1.6 .

Have you configured RAD to use JDK 1.6. According to this it appears to use IBM's JDK 5 by default - can't remember when annotations were introduced.



Yes I configured like windows->preference->java compiler Level - > 6.0

 
Matt Swaggi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 61
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Campbell Ritchie wrote:Annotations came in with Java5, but @Override works differently in Java5 and Java6.


Hey can you please tell me the @ override difference in java5 and java 6
 
Jeff Verdegan
Bartender
Posts: 6109
6
Android IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Guna Ranjan wrote:
Campbell Ritchie wrote:Annotations came in with Java5, but @Override works differently in Java5 and Java6.


Hey can you please tell me the @ override difference in java5 and java 6


In Java 6, we can @Override a method that we're implementing that's declared in an interface. Prior to that, it was only allowed on methods we inherited from a parent class.
 
Matt Swaggi
Ranch Hand
Posts: 61
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Jeff Verdegan wrote:
Guna Ranjan wrote:
Campbell Ritchie wrote:Annotations came in with Java5, but @Override works differently in Java5 and Java6.


Hey can you please tell me the @ override difference in java5 and java 6


In Java 6, we can @Override a method that we're implementing that's declared in an interface. Prior to that, it was only allowed on methods we inherited from a parent class.



When we implement a method in a Interface , why would we want to use @ override .
Please clarify this .
 
Jeff Verdegan
Bartender
Posts: 6109
6
Android IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Guna Ranjan wrote:
Jeff Verdegan wrote:
Guna Ranjan wrote:
Campbell Ritchie wrote:Annotations came in with Java5, but @Override works differently in Java5 and Java6.


Hey can you please tell me the @ override difference in java5 and java 6


In Java 6, we can @Override a method that we're implementing that's declared in an interface. Prior to that, it was only allowed on methods we inherited from a parent class.



When we implement a method in a Interface , why would we want to use @ override .
Please clarify this .


Same reasons as when using it for a method overridden from a class: 1) So that readers of that code will know that the method is inherited from another type, and 2) So that if we make a mistake in the method's signature (or if the parent type's signature changes), we'll get a compilation error.
 
John Jai
Rancher
Posts: 1776
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I ran into a similar error while using Eclipse when the project specific compiler was pointing to 1.5 version. Check the project specific compiler version if present in RAD.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic