Win a copy of The Java Performance Companion this week in the Performance forum!
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic

List printers - exclude the virtual ones?

 
Cole Terry
Ranch Hand
Posts: 45
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
I use Java to enumerate all printers installed on a computer. However it shows the virtual printers also. I want to shown only the real printers, but checking out the Java Print API I didn't find any clue.
Does any one experience the same problem?
 
Maciej Matiaszowski
Greenhorn
Posts: 2
Java Netbeans IDE Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
The virtual printers does not differ at all from the real printers. Even the operating system cannot detect a difference. Maybe depend on the user's input.
 
Cole Terry
Ranch Hand
Posts: 45
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Maciej Matiaszowski wrote:The virtual printers does not differ at all from the real printers. Even the operating system cannot detect a difference. Maybe depend on the user's input.


Thanks,
You are properly true, but I see some third party Java applet can detects only real printers. Maybe they are using some tricks that we don't know?
 
Paul Clapham
Sheriff
Posts: 21126
32
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Cole Terry wrote:You are properly true, but I see some third party Java applet can detects only real printers. Maybe they are using some tricks that we don't know?


They are certainly using a trick that I don't know, but that isn't saying much because I know almost nothing about connecting to printers in Java. So why don't you just ask them? (It's quite possible they are struggling with their applet's inability to detect virtual printers, you know.)
 
Cole Terry
Ranch Hand
Posts: 45
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
  • Quote
  • Report post to moderator
Paul Clapham wrote:
Cole Terry wrote:You are properly true, but I see some third party Java applet can detects only real printers. Maybe they are using some tricks that we don't know?


They are certainly using a trick that I don't know, but that isn't saying much because I know almost nothing about connecting to printers in Java. So why don't you just ask them? (It's quite possible they are struggling with their applet's inability to detect virtual printers, you know.)


I am given a task that list all available printers on a computer (exclude the virtual ones). I don't know any guys from the company that writes the applet, so I hope to find an answer here.
Thank you for being interested in this topic.
 
  • Post Reply
  • Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
  • New Topic