This week's book giveaway is in the OO, Patterns, UML and Refactoring forum. We're giving away four copies of Refactoring for Software Design Smells: Managing Technical Debt and have Girish Suryanarayana, Ganesh Samarthyam & Tushar Sharma on-line! See this thread for details.
Henry Wong announcing you here on this forum called the product 'software'. Provided link to promotion page on JavaRanch is named 'Book Promotion Page'. Here on Epractize Labs page it is called 'software book'. Could you please clarify what is it exactly, what is inside this blue box? And if it is a software what are requirements to run it (operating system / jvm ? any other specific?).
What is EPractize Labs Java SE 7 Upgrade OCP Training Lab? Software simulator bundled with set of mock exam questions and review slides to prepare Upgrade to Java SE 7 Programmer exam to achieve Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 7 Programmer certification. We currently offers products for Windows only.
What are included in EPractize Labs Java SE 7 Upgrade OCP Training Lab? Training Lab provides enough information about OCPJP 7 certification/exam objectives for upgrade path
Set goals against each OCPJP 7 exam topics for your preparation
Set schedule for your preparation and measure your progress
Start your preparation from Pre Measurement Exam
Basic Sessions (e-book format) and Quiz for each OCPJP 7 Certification objectives
Advanced Sessions (e-book format) and Quiz for each OCPJP 7 Certification objectives
Take quiz exam to improve your grasping and time to answer a question
Practice mock exam questions by defined or customization based on Expert Levels
Post Measurement exam to judge your confidence for actual exam
Complete your preparation with Focus Lab
Review your progress over time and accurately assess your preparation
Tracks your goals, schedules and get recommendations
I bought the Upgrade to Java SE 7 OCP Certification Training from EPractize Labs and let me tell you I was totally dissapointed. First let me tell you that the demos they provide online don't show you how the software is, they are mostly presentations and very few screen shots. The demo version you download is not complete and you cannot tell how the missing parts are. The only two parts of the software that I wanted to use are the lessons and the practice exams and both are pretty bad, the rest of the software in my opinion is just garbage. Here are my comments:
For the lessons:
1. The basic and advanced lessons are not more than a summary of what you can find in the oracle tutorial that is available online for free.
2. You cannot copy or print the content of the lessons, so you have to study in the computer.
3. All the content in lessons are only one font size, format and color (no highlights, links, etc.)
4. Code in lessons is not formatted, this is so annoying
For practice exams:
1. The first day I took a practice exam, the results marked an answer related with the Path.relativize method as incorrect when it was correct. In the explanation it was just something like this: (copied from the java tutorial) "relativize method constructs a path originating from the original path and ending at the location specified by the passed-in path." Many explanations are just like this
2. Again and the most annoying, the CODE IS NOT FORMATTED, so it's hard to understand it.
I gave up after a couple times using this software and I just printed the oracle tutorial. I already deleted the software but if you want I can install it again and I can find the question that I am talking about and provide you guys screen shots.