File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
The moose likes IDEs, Version Control and other tools and the fly likes Netbeans gui question, switching from SE to EE, or 1 class to another? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Engineering » IDEs, Version Control and other tools
Bookmark "Netbeans gui question, switching from SE to EE, or 1 class to another?" Watch "Netbeans gui question, switching from SE to EE, or 1 class to another?" New topic
Author

Netbeans gui question, switching from SE to EE, or 1 class to another?

Jay Orsaw
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Posts: 356

Okay so I have a class that I built about 160 menu items. I was curious if it's possible to be able to save that gui info and transfer it from Java SE to EE? I don't even think I can copy the code since the gui code is not editable... Even redoing the parts of code isn't an issue, it's the gui builder part I'm more worried about. It took a lot of time to do this, so I don't want to waste more.
Maneesh Godbole
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Jul 26, 2007
Posts: 10246
    
    8

IDE questions are more suitable for the IDE forum.
Moving....


[How to ask questions] [Donate a pint, save a life!] [Onff-turn it on!]
Haina Minawa
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 13, 2011
Posts: 119
Jay Orsaw wrote:Okay so I have a class that I built about 160 menu items. I was curious if it's possible to be able to save that gui info and transfer it from Java SE to EE? I don't even think I can copy the code since the gui code is not editable... Even redoing the parts of code isn't an issue, it's the gui builder part I'm more worried about. It took a lot of time to do this, so I don't want to waste more.


Hi, I am not sure I fully understand what you mean by "from Java SE to EE"?
I guess you want to convert menu items from a Swing app to a JSP page? If so, it is impossible because in JSP you have to use Javascript/HTML to build the menu which is very different than Swing's menu items.
Jay Orsaw
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Posts: 356

Haina Minawa wrote:
Jay Orsaw wrote:Okay so I have a class that I built about 160 menu items. I was curious if it's possible to be able to save that gui info and transfer it from Java SE to EE? I don't even think I can copy the code since the gui code is not editable... Even redoing the parts of code isn't an issue, it's the gui builder part I'm more worried about. It took a lot of time to do this, so I don't want to waste more.


Hi, I am not sure I fully understand what you mean by "from Java SE to EE"?
I guess you want to convert menu items from a Swing app to a JSP page? If so, it is impossible because in JSP you have to use Javascript/HTML to build the menu which is very different than Swing's menu items.


Maybe I'm more confused.. I have only been using SE for now, but I heard for business applications you want to use EE, so wouldn't it just have extra featuresa, why exactly do you have to use JSP?

I am mainly trying to figure out how to save gui work if I need to move it around from 1 class to another, or would I make it into a bean? I'm not really familiar with all of this, I'm trying to learn it all, it's my next project .
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 60991
    
  65

Jay Orsaw wrote:but I heard for business applications you want to use EE


Hogwash. You use JEE if you need JEE. What feature available in EE have you identified that you need? EJBs? Other? If the answer is "none" and your app is working fine under SE, then there's no need to to even think about EE.


[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
Jay Orsaw
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Posts: 356

Bear Bibeault wrote:
Jay Orsaw wrote:but I heard for business applications you want to use EE


Hogwash. You use JEE if you need JEE. What feature available in EE have you identified that you need? EJBs? Other? If the answer is "none" and your app is working fine under SE, then there's no need to to even think about EE.



I know I need to use beans, but I'm not sure what the specifics of EJB are vs JB. I read a little into it, but not too much... I'm still overall looking at what I will need, if I don't need EE then I wont, but it seemed like the way to go, what are your thoughts on it?
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 60991
    
  65

You didn't answer the questions: is your app working fine already? What do you need from EE?

A vague "I think I might need it" isn't sufficient.

P.S. JavaBeans and EJB have little to nothing to do with each other,.
Jay Orsaw
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 14, 2011
Posts: 356

Bear Bibeault wrote:You didn't answer the questions: is your app working fine already? What do you need from EE?

A vague "I think I might need it" isn't sufficient.

P.S. JavaBeans and EJB have little to nothing to do with each other,.


My application isn't written yet. The file menu is however.

Also my main question is how am I able to save my gui work and transfer it if I ever need to use my menus again, would that be in a bean?
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: Netbeans gui question, switching from SE to EE, or 1 class to another?