Author/s : Ben Forta
Publisher : Addison-Wesley Professional
Category : Data modeling, SQL and JDBC Review by : Mohamed Sanaulla
Rating : 8 horseshoes
This book is a nice introduction to using MySQL/MariaDB. MariaDB is a database server which offers drop-in replacement functionality for MySQL. One can quickly get started on various SQL concepts and start implementing it using MariaDB. This book also provides a very good introduction to SQL.
Various salient features of the book are:
- Concepts explained with the help of examples, which give the reader an opportunity to try out and understand the concepts in a better way.
- Each example has been analysed to explain its functionality thereby letting the reader know why and how it works.
- Chapters are short and concepts have been divided nicely into different chapters. Reader wont get bogged down by lengthy chapter or by overdosage of information.
- Almost all the SQL concepts have been covered and the chapters have been arranged in increasing order of complexity of the topic.
- Hints have been provided at required places to provide tips to the user.
The only downside is that the stored procedure related topics haven't been covered in much depth and the syntactical details of various control structures is short of explanation.
I would recommend this book for anyone who would want to get started with MariaDB.
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for writing this review on behalf of CodeRanch.