aspose file tools*
The moose likes Beginning Java and the fly likes Different output converting dates to msecs! Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of Spring in Action this week in the Spring forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Java » Beginning Java
Bookmark "Different output converting dates to msecs!" Watch "Different output converting dates to msecs!" New topic
Author

Different output converting dates to msecs!

Alessandro Camel
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 03, 2009
Posts: 35
I have really some problems with the Date Class!

The aim is to manage timestamp in msec, in order to store them
in a sql db so I can use the BETWEEN clause.



I try this code:



and the output is:



The problem is the second line of output, I was expecting the same long number as the others!
Why the difference ?
John Jai
Bartender

Joined: May 31, 2011
Posts: 1776
When you format from the milli seconds check if there is any GMT addition in the date by giving like below.
Alessandro Camel
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 03, 2009
Posts: 35
John Jai wrote:When you format from the milli seconds check if there is any GMT addition in the date by giving like below.


Thanks for the reply!
In my project I never need to store the time, I only care about the date.
Any advice to get rid of these problems when I am using ms, since I don't care about the time ?
Raphael Onofre
Greenhorn

Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Posts: 8
Alessandro Camel wrote:
John Jai wrote:When you format from the milli seconds check if there is any GMT addition in the date by giving like below.


Thanks for the reply!
In my project I never need to store the time, I only care about the date.
Any advice to get rid of these problems when I am using ms, since I don't care about the time ?


Which problem? The GMT addition?
Alessandro Camel
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 03, 2009
Posts: 35
Raphael Onofre wrote:
Alessandro Camel wrote:
John Jai wrote:When you format from the milli seconds check if there is any GMT addition in the date by giving like below.


Thanks for the reply!
In my project I never need to store the time, I only care about the date.
Any advice to get rid of these problems when I am using ms, since I don't care about the time ?


Which problem? The GMT addition?


Yes, this and every problem could be in place when using data/time strings when I care only only about the data..
Raphael Onofre
Greenhorn

Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Posts: 8
In Brazil(my country) is used (GMT-3).

So, if i have to get the correct time in Java we can do:

3h = 10800000 millisec

Thus,


Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 39415
    
  28
It is worth looking at the TimeUnit enum, which might make such calculations easier.
 
 
subject: Different output converting dates to msecs!