wood burning stoves 2.0*
The moose likes Architect Certification (SCEA/OCMJEA) and the fly likes (probably stupid) doubts on deliverables (Wireless Phone Company assignment) Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login


Win a copy of OCA/OCP Java SE 7 Programmer I & II Study Guide this week in the OCPJP forum!
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Certification » Architect Certification (SCEA/OCMJEA)
Bookmark "(probably stupid) doubts on deliverables (Wireless Phone Company assignment)" Watch "(probably stupid) doubts on deliverables (Wireless Phone Company assignment)" New topic
Author

(probably stupid) doubts on deliverables (Wireless Phone Company assignment)

Marco Bresciani
Greenhorn

Joined: Jan 01, 2012
Posts: 8

Hi all,
I've just (1 week ago) received my assignment and I'm now reading/studying/working on it. I'm speaking about the WPC (Wireless Phone Company) but I suppose the things are the same for all assignments.

I have a doubt on the deliverables. I've been said that: "all deliverables will be accepted as HTML only and each diagram bust be UML compliant." and... how?! I mean: if I have to produce HTML only, how can I produce the UML diagrams? ASCII art? Link to external (e.g. on the web) files?
Also: "you should have an "index.html" that has your name, ID and link to the class," ... "and a link to each of the " ... "diagrams. Build a JAR archive that contains all html files."

Again: how can I append/attach/add UML diagrams if I have to submit HTML files only? I know, maybe it's a stupid question but... I don't want to get a fail just because I've submitted wrong things! I'm preparing a deliverable structure like that:

+- scea-AAAAAAAAA
|
+- index.html
|
+- oa.html (the original assignment text, just to have...)
|
+ aoi (folder with the assignment original images, just to have...)
| |
| +- WPC Domain Model.png
| |
| +- WPC Use Case Diagrams.png
|
+ img (all other needed diagrams)

and I'm thinking to link those diagrams either doing or doing but, as said, I'm not sure I can add images, how to add them, ... and so on. Or do I have to post the pics somewhere on the Internet and link them from my file?

Also, in the index.html do I have to use the title tag for name and ID or h1 tag or... just put there as is with no formatting at all? And... the "root" directory (I've called it scea-AAAAAAAAA) shouldn't be included, right?

Also, are stylesheets allowed? Just to have something more nicely readable...


Sorry for these stupid questions... but I'm actually puzzled...


Thanks in advance for any suggestion.
Nilessh Ganu
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 22, 2009
Posts: 100
You can use href's to the html files.
To generate htmls for the UML diagrams, you can use UML IDE's like StarUML, visual paradigm that can export the diagrams to HTML files.

You can use style sheets in your HTMLs as well to improve the readablility. I had used internal style sheets to be accessed within the HTML page.

Best Luck!


Nilesh
SCJP SCWCD OCMJEA
Marco Bresciani
Greenhorn

Joined: Jan 01, 2012
Posts: 8

Nilessh Ganu wrote:You can use href's to the html files.
To generate htmls for the UML diagrams, you can use UML IDE's like StarUML, visual paradigm that can export the diagrams to HTML files.

You can use style sheets in your HTMLs as well to improve the readablility. I had used internal style sheets to be accessed within the HTML page.

Best Luck!


Thanks!

I've just downloaded, installed and tried StarUML... pretty raw but seems enough. I've a doubt: I've tried using "Export Diagram..." but it allows me to save it only in jpg, jpeg, bmp, wmf and emf formats. No HTML.

Does StarUML use UML 2? It seems UML 1.3 or so... is it enough?
It seems also very very very very (!) slow, when using any "export" function... it hangs for a couple of minutes, then it works again! Is it normal? I don't think my PC is too slow... I can make Win7 work on it!
Nilessh Ganu
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 22, 2009
Posts: 100
Sorry I mistyped ... I meant we can export the UML diagrams to image files like jpegs or bmps.
I used the jpegs and my index.html had the hrefs pointing to the jpeg's as you have already suggested.

I used Visual paradigm for the UML diagrams. After exporting, it produces a 'not for commercial use' kind of watermark in the image files. But in our case, that won't be a problem.
Marco Bresciani
Greenhorn

Joined: Jan 01, 2012
Posts: 8

Nilessh Ganu wrote:Sorry I mistyped ... I meant we can export the UML diagrams to image files like jpegs or bmps.
I used the jpegs and my index.html had the hrefs pointing to the jpeg's as you have already suggested.

I used Visual paradigm for the UML diagrams. After exporting, it produces a 'not for commercial use' kind of watermark in the image files. But in our case, that won't be a problem.


Oh, ok. So I can continue using the tool I'm working with. It's the non commercial version of Software Ideas Modeler and seems quite complete and it also exports in JPG, PNG, ...

I'll take care using href instead of img tags. Instead, text and notes and description of the diagrams can be added in the index or other HTML pages, right?
Nilessh Ganu
Ranch Hand

Joined: Dec 22, 2009
Posts: 100
Marco Bresciani wrote:
Oh, ok. So I can continue using the tool I'm working with. It's the non commercial version of Software Ideas Modeler and seems quite complete and it also exports in JPG, PNG, ...

I'll take care using href instead of img tags. Instead, text and notes and description of the diagrams can be added in the index or other HTML pages, right?


Yes, sounds good!
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: (probably stupid) doubts on deliverables (Wireless Phone Company assignment)