File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Another hoax? Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Another hoax?" Watch "Another hoax?" New topic
Author

Another hoax?

Akhilesh Trivedi
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 22, 2005
Posts: 1526
This landed in my inbox:



This is a true incidence reported of a boy aged 19, who was studying in 1st year of engineering, who died in Keshvani Hospital, Mumbai. He was admitted in the Hospital as a burned patient. Reason ???

This boy had gone to Amravati (a place located in State of Maharashtra ) on a study tour, on their return they were waiting at the railway station to catch the train. Many of them started taking pictures of their friends using "Mobile Phones" and / or "Digital Camera". One of them complained that, he was unable to capture the full group of friends in one frame in the Digicam.
This boy moved away to a distance to get the whole group.

He failed to notice that at an angle above his head, 40,000 volts electrical line was passing through.
As soon as he clicked the digital camera? 40,000 volt current passed through the camera flash light to his camera and then from his camera to his fingers & to his body. All this happened within a fraction of a second. His body was half burned.
They arranged for an ambulance & his burned body was brought to Keshavani Hospital, Mumbai.

For one & half days or so he was conscious & talking. Doctors did not have much hopes as there was a lot of complex issues in his body. He passed away later.
Now how many of us are aware about these technical threats & dangers? Even if we are, how many of us are adhering??


How is digital camera flash light different from sunlight?


Keep Smiling Always — My life is smoother when running silent. -paul
[FAQs] [Certification Guides] [The Linux Documentation Project]
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 14116
    
  16

Most likely the facts have been distorted in this story by the journalist or by the witnesses who didn't understand exactly what happened. Someone connected some events (the boy standing near a power line and getting struck at the moment he made a photo) and concluded that there must be a connection, but it is not at all clear if that's really the case and what was the real exact cause of the accident.

Java Beginners FAQ - JavaRanch SCJP FAQ - The Java Tutorial - Java SE 7 API documentation
Scala Notes - My blog about Scala
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 38508
    
  23
I always thought railway power lines used 25000V. A spark of several tens of thousands of volts can jump a foot or two, but by no means the ten feet or so between a railway power line and a person on the ground. Maybe he was struck by lightning, or stood close to an electric conductor of some sort, whose insulation was damaged. If there was an unguarded conductor taking the 25000V from ground level up to the wires, standing close to that might cause electrocution.
Tim Moores
Rancher

Joined: Sep 21, 2011
Posts: 2408
Has this been reported by any reputable newspaper? You'd think that this would make an interesting news story if it were true.
Sumit Bisht
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 02, 2008
Posts: 329

'40000v and his body was only half burnt' This is a hoax in itself when people coming into contact with 25kv railway electricity line are instantly charred to death.
Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Aug 16, 2005
Posts: 14116
    
  16

Well, because it's 40,000 V doesn't mean he would have been killed instantly. It's a bit more complicated when it comes to electricity. The current (expressed in A, ampères) rather than the voltage is what determines how deadly electricity is. If you get more current than some number of ampères through your heart, for example, that would kill you. If the boy would for example have been wet, it could have been the case that most of the current flowed through the water on his skin or clothes, not through his body, so that he might have had a better chance to survive.
Darryl Burke
Bartender

Joined: May 03, 2008
Posts: 4531
    
    5

Appears to be a total hoax if it isn't just bad reporting. As already said, main line electrification in India is at 25 000 V. Additionally, 40 000 V is not a standard transmission voltage anywhere in India (Maharashtra uses 22 / 220 / 400 kV AC and ±500 kV DC).

If it's just bad reporting, what could have happened is that the boy climbed on the roof of a train and held the camera above his head. Still wouldn't have anything to do with the camera flash.

Oh, and people do sometimes survive high voltage accidents. I've seen one such survivor, a steam engine fireman who raised the shovel above his head while on top of the coal tender, on a newly electrified section, causing a flashover from the 25 kV line. When I saw him he'd been in hospital for more than 6 months and still had a sponge bath once a week -- his skin couldn't take more water than that. This was in the mid 70's.


luck, db
There are no new questions, but there may be new answers.
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 38508
    
  23
Jesper de Jong wrote:. . . If you get more current than some number of ampères through your heart, for example, that would kill you. . . .
You can die from currents of about 30mA and above.
Randall Twede
Ranch Hand

Joined: Oct 21, 2000
Posts: 4340
    
    2

i was a tv repairman for about 15 years. the normal high voltage of most color crt's(picture tubes) is around 25K. i have been bitten by 30K before(the set had a regulation problem), and by 25K many times. it doesn't feel good but the amperage is too low to kill most people.


SCJP
Visit my download page
fred rosenberger
lowercase baba
Bartender

Joined: Oct 02, 2003
Posts: 11256
    
  16

I have heard that skin is a terrific insulator. if you were to take a regular AA battery, connect the two ends to needles and stick them through the skin, the current would be enough to stop your heart.

I have no reference that this is true, it's just something my father told me (he was an EE professor, so I assume he had some knowledge on the subject).


There are only two hard things in computer science: cache invalidation, naming things, and off-by-one errors
Campbell Ritchie
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 13, 2005
Posts: 38508
    
  23
fred rosenberger wrote:I have heard that skin is a terrific insulator. . . . .
Dry skin is several hundred thousand Ω. It is very difficult to electrocute yourself with the usual domestic supply (240V 50Hz AC in Britain), but not impossible.
Mary Chellapa
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jul 26, 2011
Posts: 93
IF the story is true (unlikely)

fault is camera not the loose high voltage unsecured powerline!

now just send the story to 15 people or some bad luck will come your way!

:p


Mary
Greg Charles
Sheriff

Joined: Oct 01, 2001
Posts: 2849
    
  11

Akhilesh Trivedi wrote:
How is digital camera flash light different from sunlight?


Are you taking the article to mean that the electricity arced across the beam of light produced by the flash? I think what it meant is the electricity traveled through the flash device, not the actual light rays. Not that that makes the story much more believable, but it puts it into a sort of vaguely plausible realm.
Deepak Bala
Bartender

Joined: Feb 24, 2006
Posts: 6661
    
    5

The current (expressed in A, ampères) rather than the voltage is what determines how deadly electricity is


Yes. Current in the range of 500mA - 1 Amp and above is deadly. The nature of the current also determines how the body would react to it.

Dry skin is several hundred thousand Ω


I think the value is around 40k ohms. Yes the skin is a good insulator.

40,000 volt current passed through the camera flash light to his camera


What the hell is a volt current !? The story itself is peppered with loose facts and attempts to connect the dots.


SCJP 6 articles - SCJP 5/6 mock exams - More SCJP Mocks
Pat Farrell
Rancher

Joined: Aug 11, 2007
Posts: 4650
    
    5

Deepak Bala wrote:Current in the range of 500mA - 1 Amp and above is deadly. The nature of the current also determines how the body would react to it.


Well, to be deadly, the current has to flow through the heart muscle. I have vague memories that the voltage can be fairly small (one V or less) and the current below your 500ma, if it is concentrated in the heart and not diverted to other muscles, flesh, etc. Your rib cage tries to work as a Faraday cage, as do your lungs. But I could be wrong on the numbers.

Domestic voltage in the US and UK will definitely kill you if you have one hand on one connector and your other hand on the other, making the current flow up your arms and across your chest. But most folks only get one hand on it to ground (typically your feet) and usually it doesn't pass through the chest.

But do not try this at home.

Now, TVs and CRTs are much more fun. They store well over 1000 volts for days after being unplugged. The tube acts as a big capacitor.
Akhilesh Trivedi
Ranch Hand

Joined: Jun 22, 2005
Posts: 1526
Greg Charles wrote:
Akhilesh Trivedi wrote:
How is digital camera flash light different from sunlight?


Are you taking the article to mean that the electricity arced across the beam of light produced by the flash? I think what it meant is the electricity traveled through the flash device, not the actual light rays. Not that that makes the story much more believable, but it puts it into a sort of vaguely plausible realm.


Well, the subject was "Can electricity pass through Flash light of the Digital camera?"
 
 
subject: Another hoax?