File APIs for Java Developers
Manipulate DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF and many others from your application.
http://aspose.com/file-tools
The moose likes Scala and the fly likes New Features which can be added to Lift Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Languages » Scala
Bookmark "New Features which can be added to Lift" Watch "New Features which can be added to Lift" New topic
Author

New Features which can be added to Lift

Mohamed Sanaulla
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Sep 08, 2007
Posts: 3068
    
  33

Timothy, are there any features you feel are missing from Lift framework which you wish should be a part of Lift?


Mohamed Sanaulla | My Blog
Timothy Perrett
author
Greenhorn

Joined: Nov 21, 2011
Posts: 19
Mohamed Sanaulla wrote:Timothy, are there any features you feel are missing from Lift framework which you wish should be a part of Lift?


I would actually prefer to remove features as it happens. Ideally i'd like to kill off everything but the core web aspects and move the database and record stuff into community maintained libraries. Projects tend to grow and grow over time and I think its really healthy to cut stuff out, not add more :-)

Cheers, Tim
Mohamed Sanaulla
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Sep 08, 2007
Posts: 3068
    
  33

Agree, making it more complicated would only lead to making it difficult to use. But I believe there should be a plugin system in place? Like in Rails I can make use of any gem to add any new capability with my application.
Timothy Perrett
author
Greenhorn

Joined: Nov 21, 2011
Posts: 19
Mohamed Sanaulla wrote:Agree, making it more complicated would only lead to making it difficult to use. But I believe there should be a plugin system in place? Like in Rails I can make use of any gem to add any new capability with my application.


Gems == Jars :-) It's that simple.

Lift has a boot phase and you can register any code you want there, so there isn't really a need for a plugin system per-say, as it just needs to be on the class path. Idiomatically, your "plugin" has a init object that you call from boot like Shiro.init in my Lift-Shiro integration: https://github.com/timperrett/lift-shiro

Cheers, Tim
Mohamed Sanaulla
Saloon Keeper

Joined: Sep 08, 2007
Posts: 3068
    
  33

Looks neat, but I think I require some Scala brushing up before I venture into Lift development.
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 60822
    
  65

Timothy Perrett wrote:Gems == Jars :-) It's that simple.

I like simple.

I assume that this means that Lift/Scala can leverage* other JVM-based libraries and "gems" written in other JVM languages? (Java, Groovy, et al...)











* I've been in management a number of times, I'm allowed to use this word.


[Asking smart questions] [Bear's FrontMan] [About Bear] [Books by Bear]
Timothy Perrett
author
Greenhorn

Joined: Nov 21, 2011
Posts: 19
Bear Bibeault wrote:
Timothy Perrett wrote:Gems == Jars :-) It's that simple.

I like simple.

I assume that this means that Lift/Scala can leverage* other JVM-based libraries and "gems" written in other JVM languages? (Java, Groovy, et al...)



In theory it could; i've never tried calling anything but Java from Scala. To be honest, after you've programmed Scala for a while, calling Java APIs feels ugly with all their mutability and other nasty properties... you just want to rewrite everything into native, immutable APIs :-D
Bear Bibeault
Author and ninkuma
Marshal

Joined: Jan 10, 2002
Posts: 60822
    
  65

Yeah, I'm thinking more like during a transition phase where core utilities written in Java could be used until ported. Thanks.
Hussein Baghdadi
clojure forum advocate
Bartender

Joined: Nov 08, 2003
Posts: 3476

Timothy Perrett wrote:
Mohamed Sanaulla wrote:Timothy, are there any features you feel are missing from Lift framework which you wish should be a part of Lift?


I would actually prefer to remove features as it happens. Ideally i'd like to kill off everything but the core web aspects and move the database and record stuff into community maintained libraries. Projects tend to grow and grow over time and I think its really healthy to cut stuff out, not add more :-)

Cheers, Tim


Art is the elimination of the unnecessary ~ Pablo Picasso
 
I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools
 
subject: New Features which can be added to Lift
 
Similar Threads
which way
Is Lift a Scala framework like Play?
Question time for God.
Scrabble... it only takes a minute...
Extent of Scala expertise for working with Lift